Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen lymph node at base of ear worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hey I'm 23 year old male. I'm writing this because of a swollen lymph node ( about the size of pea ) at the base of right ear for a couple of months now. It is not causin me any discomfort and no other lymph node is swollen. I've had a dentist look down my throat with a light and she said it was fine. Now my right ear is blocked due to excessive ear wax and possibly an infection. My question is can excessive ear wax and clogged ear canal cause the lymph node to be swollen for 2 months?
Should I be worried about it and insist on further examination. Lookin forward to your reply.

Many thanks in advance
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Usually lymph nodes is greater than 1 cm are significant. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the ears. And as long as the infection persists, the lymph glands may be swollen. Treatment is usually with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications. So, consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.