EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
swollen lymph node in throat for near an year now
by human88, Aug 12, 2010
Hi,i have a swollen lymph node on the outside of my throat about 2cm above and on the right side of my adams apple...it never goes away...the maximum it went was near 1.5 cm and right now it is around 1-1.5 mm,it fluctuates in size,sometimes gets big sometimes gets smaller...i have a same size lymph node on the left side of my neck some centimeter under the ear but it never grows it just stays 1mm in size...i showed it to my physician and he said that its nothing,my question is that why does it not go away...i have no lump inside my throat,im 21 male...although sometimes my voice gets hoarse and i do feel that something is growing in my throat,but when i swallow i feel nothing,i go to the doctor he looked inside till my adams apple and said its nothing...another weird thing is that when i make strong ginger honey liquid by boiling ginger in water for a while...the lymph node decreases in size...i went to two doctors they said its nothing ,you are very young and God forbid no chance of oral or throat cancer,i do have a history of moderate smoking and mild drinking...then what is it why does the lymph node not go away....
Member Comments (20)
by human88, Aug 12, 2010
sir,i was hoping you could answer this post of mine,i have gone to 2 doctors and 1 ENT specialist,they all said its nothing,many people have lymph nodes that fluctuate in size...i quit smoking 3 months ago,but even before it was always mild like 4-8 a day,im only 21,i am VERY scared about oral or throat cancer
by human88, Aug 12, 2010
i do have a history of IBS  that is irritable bowel syndrome,and i am allergic to smells and perfumes and take cetirizine for it...just about 1 and a half week ago,the lymph node got veryyyyyy small,like ven less than a mm and i could hardly feel it,but now now it is again about 0.5-1 mm and i can move it and it is not firm or hard but very soft
by OHNS2010, Aug 14, 2010

I am extremely sorry for not answering your query. My question is, are you sure that the swelling is just a lymph node? If so, the first location of the swelling you quoted is in the pre-tracheal region which is rare to be seen. This usually develops when there is infection in the front of the neck. The second location you mentioned is the common site for the lymph nodes to get enlarged during throat infection.

The lymph nodes are the policemen of our body, they always indicate an ongoing infection.
I would also suggest you to get an ultrasound of the neck done so that any other cysts in the midline can be ruled out.

Any more doubts you are welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010
by human88, Aug 14, 2010
Thanks alot for replying sir,if it is not a lymph node then what else can it be considering it changes size,...let me tell you the exact location again,it is approximately one and a half inch above my adams apple a little on the right side of my neck.i cannot feel any lump on the inside of my throat,please tell me that we can rule out any cancer considering my age,im only going to turn 22. i read that for a serious infection the lymph node grows alot in size not just one mm or one cm....if they are cysts then are they curable?
by human88, Aug 14, 2010
And sir,should i get a neck x-ray or a neck ultrasound done?
by human88, Aug 14, 2010
i can hardly feel it but when i harden my neck muscle then i feel it and i described it all to you above...sir i am very scared of head and neck cancer,i cannot sleep,ive become a hypochondriac,im tense all the time...i dont want to die and i dont want to lose my voice,i want to support my family,i want to start a family too...please help me sir,im very worried
by OHNS2010, Aug 15, 2010

Relax!!! Not all swellings in the throat turns out to be a cancer. There are lots of predisposing factors to cause it. Laryngeal malignancies are indeed uncommon in your age. A simple analogy, if there is a plane crash some where, there is no point in fearing to travel by plane or expect all the planes to crash. Just because you have come across some one who had a cancer it does not mean you should get one.

There are few mid line lesions you should be concerned about, one of the most common being thyroglossal cyst. This is one which fluctuates in size and shape. Others include enlargement of a lobe of thyroid or thyroid cyst. My advise to you would be to get a USG neck done.

Have faith in your doctors they will definitely help you out. All the best.

Regards
OHNS 2010
by human88, Aug 15, 2010
Thanks,it helped i will surely get neck ultrasound done,and let you know the results,again thanks for your reassuring advice,in future kindly answer any questions i might have.
Best Regards
by human88, Aug 16, 2010
Sir,i have got an appointment for an ultrasound of neck and it is for next week,till then to ease my concerns can you just answer one question that whenever i drink strong ginger liquid the lymph node or cyst as you suggested grows smaller,if it was Godforbid cancer of the throat or something like that, would it grow smaller by drinking ginger liquid and then grow big again...?