Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen lymph node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

swollen lymph node

I have found 2 swollen lymph nodes on my right side of neck and another 1 on my left.  I have had swollen lymph nodes before and one removed, only stating that it was reactive.  I wasn't so worried at first but I have had a sore throat, pain in right ear and neck, and this feeling that there is something at the back of my throat for a month.  They did an ultrasound of my left side so one is a lymph node and they did scope down my throat (ENT).  They didn;t do an endoscopy.  They say everything is fine but I am left feeling skeptical.  I have requested soething to be done but they refuse.  Please let me know what I should do....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Lymph node enlargement is usually due to infections like bacterial and viral. Next you could see if any of the draining areas have any evidence of infection, like tonsils, the skin, tooth abscess or an ear infection.  Treatment is usually with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications. If they do not resolve with this therapy. Then others like tumors or lymphomas can be considered.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Ok, thanks for your help!
Hello, have a few other questions still.  The doctors haven't given me any anti-inflammatory  medication.  I have been having right chest pain on and off again and in the center of my chest.  My right ear has been hurting and both ears have been feeling like my ears need to pop.  The sore throat/ feeling of a lump in my throat has been there for over a month.  The ENT did scope down my throat and didn't see anything.  I know that I have anxiety about these things, but it scares me that it could be cancer.  Do these symptoms appear to be something bad?  I have tried to get the doctors to do something but they haven't yet.  Any answers would be welcome!
I have also had the sore throat for over a month as well.  It is driving me nuts.  And no dr will listen to me:(
I went to the dr and they stated I have an ear infection.  I have noticed that I am having a harder time with hearing these past few days.  What is the likelihood od it being cancer?  Thanks
I'm going through almost same exact thing as your first entry you wrote only for the last 4 months and the ear pain only Comes at night sometimes. My lymph node is basically in my right side of neck/throat. Because the node isn't sore or i'm sick in any way (she tested for previous mono, viruses, thyroid, blood count) its not fighting off any kind of infection. My doctor wouldn't take me seriously since I am 25 (which not only amI a 10yr smoker but cancer Doesnt have an age) but finally after everything came back normal she ordered the ultrasound after 3 months. While I was getting ultrasound nurse told me no matter what a biopsy is prob next to see why it's swelling. They called saying test was normal & no further action would be taken. Everything is NOT normal, I have a swollen node protruding slightly visible from my throat!! A constant lump in my throat!! After seeing the doc last week trying to get answers and a biopsy (to which she ignored) i'm crazy scared. the doctor expects me to be pleased with n I don't know what it is diagnoses.  I'm currently looking for another doctor.