Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen lymph nodes , sore throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

swollen lymph nodes , sore throat

hello guys i already had a previous post to say that i have a swollen lymph nodes & a chronic sore throat for the last 5 months , + mouth Ulcers all the time

i was a fraid that it could be HIV , so my GF take the ( HIV AG \ AB ) like 2 times so far for the last 5 months
all her tests were coming negative , everybody here told me that she couldn't have it (HIV)

i went to a doctor yesterday , he told me that it could be a chronic tonsils , Or a chronic sore throat .

what do u think ?   could My GF have HIV after all this Tests ? could it be just chronic sore throat OR chronic tonsils ?
serious answers only please !!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your girl friend has tested negative for HIV, she is unlikely to have the infection. The commonest pathogen (agent) causing throat infections is a group A Streptococcus bacteria. Besides this Group B Streptococcus, mycoplasma, neisseria and  cornybacterium  are known to cause throat infections. Other known pathogens causing infections of the throat are viral and yeast (candida).

To begin with a throat swab is taken to see for streptococcus. If needed a throat culture will show the growth and the antibiotics to which the pathogens are most susceptible to. During culture it would be worthwhile to test for yeast infections also besides bacterial infections. Viral infections are by exclusion and do not need any antibiotic therapy unless there are super added infections. Viral infections are known to cause canker sores. The antibiotic of choice for a streptococcal infection is penicillin.
However, repeated strep throat infections are an indication for tonsillectomy.

Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
first of all , thank you so much for all your great help & the descriptive support

second thing : i used already a number of antibiotics , they all did nothing ( My first three doctor advice me with the following antibiotics ..
1- Augmentin , 2- Zinnat , 3- controloc .

which all did exactly nothing ( really nothing ) that's why i was afraid if it is HIV infection,
what do u think i should do now , what is the next Action i should do .?

my last doctor advice to remove the tonsils completely , he told me it is chronic & need to be removed.

u don't have any idea how much i appreciate your precious reply & support.
thanks again
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your anxiety. Tonsillectomy is advised if there is recurrent streptococcal tonsillitis, recurrent peritonsillar abscess and chronic tonsillitis.

But please check to see if your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough.

Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.