Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen tonsils, no other symptoms?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

swollen tonsils, no other symptoms?????

Ok, so for about 2 days now, my tonsils have been a little bit red and look to be swollen. My throat really doesnt hurt. I can feel my lymph nodes on the left side are swollen in my neck. Should I call the doctor? Or wait? Does it sound like I might be getting an infection? I know I am expecting my monthly visitor any time now, so I didnt know if there could be any possible connection there. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
If you are essentially feeling fine, I would just wait.
This might just be a virus, passing through.

If you develop other symptoms/fever, might warrant a trip to the Dr.
That said, nearing my menses, I find an increase in temperature (seeing 99, up 2 degrees from my average).

I would suggest gargling with salt water.

My experience has been, that mouthwashes seem to prove too harsh on an inflamed mouth/throat.

Hi there, yes this could well just be a virus or bug passing through your system and your tonsils are designed to filter these.

Have you checked to see if you can find any small white/yellow bumps on the tonsils or coughed any up. These are called tonsil stones and are quite harmless but can cause the tonsils to enlarge slightly apparently and its basically food getting caught in the crypts on the tonsil surface.

It wouldn't hurt to get medical advice if you are worried, your piece of mind is the most important thing, and if you worry about it,you'll only feel worse.

Good luck
My daughter is 4 and her toncils are swollen really bad took her to the doctor and they gave her amoxicillin and they are still big i am so worried could this be cancerous?? they tell me it is a virus but its my little girl?? please help
My friend's daughter has had terribly swollen tonsils for about 4 months now. I've never seen anything like it - they almost touch her molars and make it uncomfortable for her to swallow. Dr. has ruled out infection, ear infection, strep, staph . . . is just leaving it be. This is hard for a 4 year old to deal with, though, and scary for me and my friend who are worried about dr. missing something.
About a month ago I had an infection on my tonsils. I went to the doctor he gave me medicine for it and gave me a shot 2 hours later I was feeling a lot better,I actually felt better for like a week,but unfortunaly the pain came back not as bad,but on the left side it hurts and feels like i have something poking me at night it gets worst I'm worried it could be cancerous please help..
This is what ive been getting for a few months now...it comes and goes and sometimes its around for a few days.

Its not really painful, but my tonsils feel like they have enlarged and so it feels like i need to gag. I know i have big tonsils anyway (i shocked the Doctor when i was little) but every now and then they are there and only when i eat something does it give me relief, but once im fiished eating it comes back *sigh*...doent help when i have a funny tummy! :S
i had a throat infection and my doctr prescribed amoxicillin fo me an when i started taking it my throat cleared up but im still takin it now the right side ofmy neck is botherin me and my left tonsil is swollen. when i had the thorat infection i had a high fever and my ears was bothering me and i couldnt eat or drink now that my throat infection is gone my tonsil is swollen and it feels real weird. i dont know what to do,  I feel like i got to throw up an everything. what should i do about my swollen left tonsil?
my 3 year old daughter has a swallan throat and big toncils...
she seems to be in no pain although she sometimes finds it hard to swallow foods.. i have taken her to a gp, Gp says ' no medication just a specialist appointment' .. i booked her in , the only time avalible is the 2nd feb...  iam worried they are goin to swell up an interfer with her breathing??? should she be on medication???do you have any information about toncils and swallan throats???
My son is 6 years old, he has had tonsilitous a couple of times since last summer and has been on antibiotics at times for same. His tonsils have been swollen for 11 weeks now - they are huge - almost touching, he complains of difficulites swallowing. went to gp 3/4 weeks ago who said there was nothing wrong and he would just have to 'grow into them' but they are really bothering my son he is finding it hard to eat - he finds it extremely difficult to swallow chewy foods - meat etc. His voice sounds strange and at times has minor difficulties speaking. He is now snoring at night - which was never a problem for him (which wouldnt be a worry except that i think it's because his airways are tighter now). Whilst at football training at the weekend he found it hard to catch his breath numerous times.(thia has never happened before) I have an appointment with the same gp later this week as symptoms have worsened since seeing him a month ago but i am afraid he will just tell me the same thing again!!! which was not to worry that he needs to 'grow into his tonsils' and to give him calpol when it bothers him - if i was to follow that my sons diet would regulary consist of doses of pain killers which is not a long term solution!!!!
Has anyone been going through a similar siutation??