Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen tonsils after sex?! help!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

swollen tonsils after sex?! help!!

Can anyone tell me if there is a correlation btwn having swollen tonsils and unprotected sex? I have never had issues w my tonsils ever in my life, but after we had unprotected they got swollen and white spots on them a week after. Doctor said it wasn't strep or mono, but claims it was tonsil stones. Both bf and I are clean for stds, but all of this didn't start until after unprotected sex. Could stress/anxiety cause this cus I am suffering from both? Could it be an std? I don't know a lot about tonsils so any insight would be good. The right tonsil is still swollen
I would recommend having an ENT Specialist assessing your tonsils too.  Sounds like a tonsil stones problem to me.    

I hate to get too personal, but I am assuming you are talking about unprotected ORAL sex?
i was thinking maybe it was a tonsil stone, but i dont see anything, but sometimes i do feel like something is stuck back there. well, unprotected oral and vaginal sex. so, im just trying to make sure this isnt related to an std or anything.
You not the only one, i thik I might have the same as you, exepct they don't dont look like stones more like white patches, they don't look like stones lol >.< and it technically hasnt even been a week since I had oral sex with my bf and thats when you normal get it or so i've read lol
Well, have them (tonsils) reassessed by an ENT Specialist and see what he/she recommends/thinks.  The only thing I can think of is maybe the oral sex is in some way irritating the tonsils with bacteria and/or friction.  I don't think this is any STI/STD or Mono.  
I don't know much about this, just remember Dr, Mirkin talking about it on his radio show, but you might want to monitor yourself for the symptoms of mycoplasma genitalium, which is an STD that is lurking largely unknown in the population.  Of course, it could just be a coincidence, so take Londres70 advice.
Wow, its weird that you say this b/c I just looked up this std and it said its related to bacterial vagnosis and I had that at the same time my tonsils flared up!! I will be getting to an ENT still though! Thanx for the advice ladies! Also, one more thing...Londres70 do tonsils stones have to be hard?
No, tonsil stones don't have to be hard like a rock, although they are firm to the touch.  I get them occasionally, especially during the winter months.  Mine pop out most of the time; I am able to spit them out.  One time I had one that was on the surface of my tonsil and it finally popped out after a week.  
ok, cus w/e I had wasn't really hard, but like maybe puddy like sort of.
Sorry w all the questions, but one last thing. If it feels like I might be swalloing like small pieces of little pebbles maybe could that be tonsil stones u think? U can have them and not always see them right?
Yes, sounds JUST like tonsil stones to me.  Yes, I have swallowed a couple without seeing them too.  I think you have a tonsil stone problem.  

No worries about all the questions.  :)
Ok, now I feel somewhat better! Thanks a ton for answering every single one of my questions :-)
How can one permanently get rid of the white patches next to their tonsils?  I am miserable with this Cryptic Tonsil.
I am a male, 28 and last week I had oral sex with a woman. Three days after I got one swollen tonsil with slight pain when swallowing and white spots on tonsil. I went to the ER and they tested me for mono and strep. Which came back negative. Now they tested me for STD's and I am still waiting those results but I do not have fever and no pain anymore. However the tonsils have grown and now my right one is affected too.

Another possibility is that it is fungi, fungus or yeast from the girl that somehow attacked my tonsils. I read a few people having that issue so I am also waiting for results of fungi infection. No doctor has even speculated that it is fungi, I had to request the test on my own. Thanks all mighty Google!

I visited 5 doctors already for different opinions and they were all the same.

It is until today that I stumbled upon a medical article that links acid reflux to swollen tonsils. I was shocked that no doctor has already even suggested that possibility.

I have acid reflux issues periodically, my father did too and would always take baking soda to combat his reflux. I do now the same. I had lack of sleep for the past few months, only sleeping 6 hours and not 8. Apparently we need 8 hours of sleep for our stomachs to heal so no acid comes back up. And I get hiccups after every meal. I also have the bad habit of eating before bed. It should be 4 hours before bed.

All of those are bad habits for acid reflux which I all do. So since reading that article about acid reflux and tonsils, I felt obliged to put this information out here.

I am going to see a Ear Nose Throat specialist and try to determine the exact cause with him. But for now, I will wait for those STD results.

In case you are interested here is the article about acid reflux from Dr. Steven Park.

http://doctorstevenpark.com/what-everyone-should-know-about-tonsillectomy#comments