Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen uvula and tonsils

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

swollen uvula and tonsils

For about 10 days now I have had flu like symptoms.  Fisrt day was fever and sweating with acheing joints and some vomiting. Days 2-10 swollen tonsils with white patches (extremely painful).  Now my uvula is swollen and sitting on my tounge.  Ok so heres what I have been using to combat this.  Gargle with salt water, Drink warm water with honey and lemon, Tylenol for pain (actually works for once), had some fluticasone propionate for nasal congestion (stopped working so switched to afrin) and zinc cough drops.

Ok heres my question, at what time should I be worried and go see a doctor.  I have no insurance and a crappy job so I dont have alot of money.  The uvula thing is what is worring me the most.  I am to the point where I am trying to round up meds from some of my friends that have insurance.  I will shortly have a zpak and some ambien (havent been sleeping since the start of this cold) I also have a friend that has steroid meds like prednisone, but I am not going to try that unless the uvula gets worse.  What should I do? I have read so many forums on home remedies most say wait it out, until I had the uvula swell I was fine with that.  Most of the forums that talk about the uvula swelling contribute it to drinking alcholol, but I dont drink.  They also say see a DR. if it lasts more than 2 days, but reply that the DR. just gave them prednisone which I can get.

Please someone help, Going crazy worring about it all.. If I need a DR and they can actually do something for it I'll come up with the money, but I cant handle paying all that money for the DR to say wait it out.

Very much in you debt if you  answer

Adam
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Adam, understand your predicament. Please don't use medications like prednisolone without consulting your doctor. Throat infections are most probably due to streptococcal or a viral infections. Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and  (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain. As you have white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics. As the infection resolves, the swelling of the uvula will resolve. In the meantime continue with salt water gargles and anti inflammatory medications.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I take Benadryl or diphehydramine when mine swells because that is what the ER pumped through me when my uvula swelled. I am still having allergic reactions  to something when mine swells. Might want to go to a allergist.