tenderness after tympanoplasty
I was hit in the ear at the end of May '09 and have since had a perforation in my eardrum that wouldn't heal, and tinnitus that has steadily worsened.

After trying numerous procedures and alternative medicines, I finally opted to have a tympanoplasty performed.  The operation was a week ago from today (01/21/10) and my question lies with the graft site.  I was expecting some obvious swelling from having a knife glazed across skin and tendons, but I'm starting to worry about tenderness on the side of my head.  

The past 2-3 days have yielded a pain that is slowly moving up the side of my head, starting right above the ear (where the graft side was).  I went to the otolaryngologist who performed the surgery yesterday, he felt the swelling and he said it is normal but to call him if it worsens.  As I just spent a lot of money having this operation (my insurance screwed me over) I don't want to run up excessive costs on what is probably just a standard side effect.  But I know infections in the head, especially near the brain, can have catastrophic consequences if not tended to immediately.  

I just want to know if anyone is familiar with this procedure, and if so, if this swelling/tenderness is common.