Ear, Nose & Throat Community
tenderness after tympanoplasty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

tenderness after tympanoplasty

I was hit in the ear at the end of May '09 and have since had a perforation in my eardrum that wouldn't heal, and tinnitus that has steadily worsened.

After trying numerous procedures and alternative medicines, I finally opted to have a tympanoplasty performed.  The operation was a week ago from today (01/21/10) and my question lies with the graft site.  I was expecting some obvious swelling from having a knife glazed across skin and tendons, but I'm starting to worry about tenderness on the side of my head.  

The past 2-3 days have yielded a pain that is slowly moving up the side of my head, starting right above the ear (where the graft side was).  I went to the otolaryngologist who performed the surgery yesterday, he felt the swelling and he said it is normal but to call him if it worsens.  As I just spent a lot of money having this operation (my insurance screwed me over) I don't want to run up excessive costs on what is probably just a standard side effect.  But I know infections in the head, especially near the brain, can have catastrophic consequences if not tended to immediately.  

I just want to know if anyone is familiar with this procedure, and if so, if this swelling/tenderness is common.