Ear, Nose & Throat Community
thick mucus nearly making gag when coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

on a morning when i wake up i always need to cough and clear my throat since about a year ago. but now it has extended to needing to do it throughout the day. sometime the mucus that comes up is small hard sticky lumps that nearly make me be sick as they get stuck in my throat. or some times theres a lot of yellow and white flem (phlegm). its never clear. I'm wondering wat the cause of this is as i can constantly feel it there at back of my throat like a coating. and now sum times small specs of blood are getting coughed up only occasionally. an some times black flecks. Is this normal. and what is causing it? the nurse just sed it will clear itself up but it hasnt and its normal to cough in morning but this really doesnt feel or seem normal. any ideas on possible solutions to?
Are you a smoker?  History of allergies?  None of your situation sounds NORMAL.
I am confused about the nurse you mentioned.  Is this a nurse that you talked with at a doctor's visit or someone you know?  You should be seeing a physician at this point if you have not already like ASAP.    
nope not a smoker, and no allergies and non of my family smoke or my friends at uni so am never around smokers. nurse is nurse at nurses unit at uni. they have a 24/7 nurse available. and you go see them what ever your problem may be. they can prescribe medicen, do stiches n sutures and check up for people postop they roide all sorts of services.
At this point, you need to see a physician.
hmmm...my 18 year old son has exactly same thing. his dr said to use a netti pot and he used it without missing a single dose for as long as he was supposed to but it almost seemed to make things worse so he stopped. I am waiting to hear what anyone has to say here. My son is also a non smoker and not around smoke. Sometimes he will just pre-apologize for the noise he is about to make and goes into the washroom and hacks out chunks of phlegm. been a solid year now.