Ear, Nose & Throat Community
throat numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

throat numbness

I am a 26 year old female. About two months ago I started feeling a aching sensation in my neck/throat right above where my adams apple would be to the right. I've poked and dug which I am sure has caused further irritation. At times I feel like I have a soar throat, only when I swallow saliva, not food or liqiuds. When I turn my head the right way and speak it almost feels like something is poking inward. I had a 'stuffy' feeling in my right ear, but not like air plane stuffy. And at times it feels like there might be fluid. Most recently I noticed My right side of my throat all the way down my esophagus is numb. When I drink liquids or swallow even breathing through my nose, I can feel it all on my left but not right. I have an appointment with my GP but cant get in for another 3 weeks. This is driving me nuts and makeing me a nervous wreck! Has anyone had anything similar to this? Any ideas on what could be causeing this????!!! I have two babies and this is causing me so much stress!
I seem to be having a similar problem, only it's been numb there for the past 8 months. The whole left side of my throat is numb when I swallow anything, even gargle water or something like that. My own conclusion was that it had something to do with a dentist appointment that I had a while back - when I was numbed up they shot me up with novacaine 3 times in the same spot. My guess is that I might of swallowed, or something, and it numbed the whole left side of my throat and I never regained sensation in those nerves. Whether that makes any sense at all, I have no clue. Because when I get a small sore throat, it's more sore on the left numb side so I have no idea. It's been over 8 months, though, so it seems permanent to me. I'd like an explanation for the cause of this as well. I am an ex smoker, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.