Ear, Nose & Throat Community
thumping in right ear... comes and goes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

thumping in right ear... comes and goes

For a while now I've had this weird thump, comes and goes. It's happening when I'm on the phone (read cellphone), listening with my right ear... each hard consonant sound I hear results in a thump I both hear and (sort of) feel, almost as if it's coming from the center of my skull.  Pretty sure that means it's an inner ear thing.  I can switch to the left ear, thump is gone... back to the right, thump is back.  I can hear just fine in left and right, mostly the thump is distracting and a little worrisome. Can anybody help me make sense of this?
Thanks!
Tags: Life
This isn't going to help  much, but I just want to let you know that I've had that exact same thing, on and off, my ENTIRE life.  In fact, I'm so used to it (again, it only happens on occasion) that I've never once remembered to mention it to any doctor, including my ENT who I've seen regularly for several years for my nose.  I also forgot to mention it during some very extensive hearing tests I had done at that same ENT's office a year ago, all of which turned out fine.

I know what you mean...it kind of feels like a beating to certain syllables and sounds.  I've never known what has caused it, never once have worried about it, and have never had any ear problems (no infections, dizziness, etc.) that made me think of the beating as a symptom.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I'm 34 and it has never once affected my life or my ear health (as far as I know) in any way.  It's just annoying.
I just wanted to say that my mom had the same thing happen to her. When she went for her check up and told her dr, he ran some blood test, and come to find out her cholesterol was high. He thought that it might be calcifications in her main artery that goes up behind her ear, or in her ear (somewhere close). So, he put her on some medicine for it and it stopped. So, you might want to get that checked out.
I have had the same thing for about 6 or so months.  It has gradually become more frequent.  It happens many times a day and can last for a half hour.  It happens in my left ear when someone is talking to me from my right side.  It is so strange.  I was worried that it was a neurological symptom, but I had an MRI and it was clean.  It is so annoying!!!  I know this wasn't helpful, but I know it can help to know you're not the only one.  By the way, I went to the ENT, and he had not idea, hadn't even heard of such a thing!  He just tested my hearing, which was fine.  Sigh....
I also suffer from this strange symptom. I just came from the ENT today. The doctor put me on nasacort and antihistamines. Who know's if it will work. Most of the time doctor don't have a clue and they say everything's fine. Anyway good luck to all.
I wonder if it's part of the acoustic reflex? I'm no expert, but your ears have a built-in mechanism to protect them from sudden loud sounds (maybe W/a/J will explain how it works).

Maybe the thumping is part of this acoustic reflex, triggered when you hear certain sounds. It has something to do with the stapedius muscle in your middle ear. And it's a bilateral thing--when you hear an overly loud sound in one ear, it triggers the reflex for both sides, I believe. (Been a long time since I read about it, and I never understood it completely.)

Of course it's not normal to have ear-thumping during normal conversations. I would get it checked out by an ENT. But most likely they won't know what's causing it, and anything serious will likely be ruled out. Lots of weird ear stuff never gets explained.

I had a very strange cross-ear thumping several years ago during a four-day episode of BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Every time I would tip my head leftward and get the BPPV, which consisted of the ceiling appearing to jerk up and down, I would get a fast, strong thumping/beating in my RIGHT ear, opposite to the BPPV side. Doctors could not explain this. But I'm sure it was the stapedius muscle thumping away in my opposite ear for some reason.

Nancy T.
I'm 47. I seem to be having a similar sensation, and it feels as if there's a muscle that's spasming in the ear canal.

Likewise, I don't have a clue what may be causing it. I don't feel like going to see a doctor about it. It's annoying, but I'm just letting it go. There doesn't seem to be anything it's affecting.
I just went to the ENT today.  He tested my hearing and of course it's fine.  He also tested the pressure on my tympanic membrane, also normal.  I'm a little frustrated because I feel pressure and I know something is causing the thumping noise.  It only happens when I move, as if there's fluid in my inner ear, but he didn't have any answers for me.  What a waste of time and money!!  I guess I'll have to learn to live with it.
I have suffered with my ear thumping problem for some time now.  I went to the ENT and they referred me out for a VNG which was a very strange test that shook me up really bad.  Its where they blow a force of air in your inner ear for about 2 minutes.  Now, I cant stand for my ceiling fan to be on without me having to put cotton or something to stop them up so that I may sleep.  This is very frustrating because my sinus drains and makes it worse.

Laila
I have had this ear thumping going on for so many years now and never really gave it much thought.  It only happened at night when I first went to bed and lasted for about a half hour.  Just recently it started happening during the day also.  If there was a printer going or any other loud noise, it seemed to sound like the machine was reving up or something.  It is becoming more annoying and I sometimes feel like I am going to lose my mind.  I wear earplugs every night and have for years and that does not help.
My ear thumping started about a month ago.Its driving me crazy as it doesnt hurt justs thumping.I blamed it on a trip we went on.We flew up to toronto and then to las vegas.I am not use to flying,plus all the noise in vegas.I am debating whether to get it checked out as I do have high blood pressure.
It seems to start when I am moving around mostly and aroung loud noise.I wonder if this has anything to do with it?It almost seems like my

heart is thumping in my ear but heavier and louder
thanks.....Bonnie
i just sent you a message and then i went back and reread what you had said and i do have the same thumping...it does not happen while moving but after i sit down from moving...like climbing stairs etc.
My right ear thumps whenever I consume any alcohol.  Only then.   I have no wax build up other than ordinary amounts when cleaning my ears.   I am careful to never probe into my ear canal, only wiping the wax from the outer portion.   No pain is associated with this thumping and it goes away but it is still worrisome.  I have decide to cease all use of salt seasonings to see if any relief can be gained.    It must be noted that I was a drummer for 15 years in my youth,  but have not played drums or otherwise been exposed to high decibal levels in well over a decade, and never before have any symptoms of any type of hearing impairment ever presented itself.   I would welcome any suggestions or information from anyone,  especially from a physician who has knowledge in this area.   Thank you.
I've had the same annoying thumping in both my ears off and on since i can remember, i'm 40 yrs. old now and it's still annoying.It wakes me from my sleep, it happens around running water, while i'm in the shower or taking a bath. I was told it has to do w/ my sinus cavity. I suffer from some weird allergy to dairy that causes massive mucos build up and frequent sinus infections. Plugging my ear super tightly helps me to fall asleep, and or not be awakened due to the annoying thumping sound in my ear.
Have same thumping in right ear. Does anyone of you live close to a wind mill farm?
I have recently started having thumping in my left ear.  My first thought was it is my heart beating but it is a third again faster than my heart rate.  I can't sleep on my left side it is so annoying.  Now I am on medication for my cholesterol.  It would be nice if someone had some answers, but so far nothing definitive on the internet.  If anyone comes up with something solid email me at ***@****.  Thanks
Thumping noises in ear is directly related to the spiritual side of your being.  I haven't cracked the exact code from the thumping sound being in the right ear, left ear, or both.  Basically the thumping sound means if you are doing something that has caused you harm before or ended up negatively your inner self is trying to tell you to stop, "Been down this road before."  It also means that your spirit guide is trying to communicate with you.  If you are lightly thinking about something or deep in thought and you need answers your spirit guide could be trying to answer questions, direct you in your thought that they know you would really want to experience, or warn you.  This could be the difference between left and right ear thumping.  Not everything we experience on this planet has to do with a medical condition or technology gone wrong causing ailments.
you are a ******* enovious
I have the same thumping in my ear when I use the phone or hear high sounds.. I went to the ENT which I had the hearing test, pressure test, CTs of my ear/head, MRIs of my head/neck and everything has been normal. The Dr. even puntured my eardrum to make sure I didn't have pressure build in... I wish someone would have an answer to the thumping.. It's annoying and it actually hurts my ear to where I would get a headache from the thumping.
I have this thumping noise as well. It happened every so often when I was on the phone but lately it has been every 3 min or so and I can not get anything done its so distracting. The thumping goes for about 15 fast thumps and then quits only to come right back.
I've had this all my life: thumping in right ear ... when I hear piano music. It's the only thing that sets it off. It starts thumping within about 5 seconds of piano music playing, and ends the instant the music stops. I just wondered if anyone else had it too, and it sounds like it's not uncommon, although different things set it off for different people. Interesting, though.
I began researching several weeks ago when I suddenly began having a painless but annoying thumping in my left ear. It is similar to an ear problem I had once before, but differs in that I was flying while experiencing a tooth problem then. Thumping in the ear could be related to sinus infection, dental problems, TMJ or any number of neurological causes. A tumor on the 7th cranial nerve can cause thumping, but usually has pain associated. See your GP first to eliminate any chance of infection. The doctor should be able to refer you to either an audiologist, dentist or neurologist depending on the results of the exam. Unfortunately, the vast majority of cases are never solved satisfactorily.
I am experiencing a thumping noise in the right ear.  It started two nights ago.  It is a fast thumping not the same as the heart beat.  It starts in the evening and lasts all night.  Makes it very hard to get any sleep.  Last year I had a breathing noise in the same ear and it started when I laid down.  It was also hard to sleep with that noise going on all night.  Been to GP, EMT but they did not find a thing but said the blood vessel runs near the ear canal and can cause a rushing sound.   I've had fluid problems with that same ear and had tubes put in twice in the last 10 years.  I am 58 year old,  just getting old I suppose......  
Well as nutty as people may think you are Enovious you have some validity but atleast tell people the truth ok....ummmm the word Spirit can be used very lightly and you know the word that they will all understand ok. I have this and knew exactly what it was but talked myself out of it and was heading to medical help but my instinct tells me it's not medical....stop using soft wording and just tell people......world needs to wake up huh. Always seek medical advice and if testing helps you tick off the worrying things in your mind then do so. I don't have the guts to tell people what it is maybe Enovious has ?
I have the same problem.  I would describe the feeling as being like a tiny muscle spasm deep in the ear.  There is also definitely a feeling of some moisture in the middle ear.  Occasionally the moisture seems to clear and I hear a faint clicking in place of the thumping.  My theory is that moisture due to a sinus infection or allergies is irritating the stapedius or tensor tampani causing muscle spasms.  Until someone with a real answer responds, I suggest and will experiment with drinking fluids with electrolytes to thin the mucus and prevent muscle spasms.  or learn Morse code and find out what your spirit guide has to say.
I've had ringing in the ear in the past, but I changed some eating habits and it stopped. Well, this year I had three stents put in cause of blocked arteries and for about the last month, I have been having this thumping sound in my right ear from time to time all day long. It comes and goes at intervals. Mostly after eating. It feels more like a membrane having spasms than a sound, but it is there all the time. I just had my cholesterol checked and it is high so everyone that has this thumping don't waste your time checking with an ear doctor or thinking that it has to do with anything other than your cholesterol or triglycerides. I am not a doctor, but have experienced all those things all my life. It is food related. Change your eating habits and or take medication for your cholesterol. I just started taking Niacin two days ago. The thumping hasn't stopped yet, but I sure it will once the cholesterol drops to normal levels.
Hope this helps some people out there and please let me know if it does.
Well I will join the many people whom I have just discovered have the same symptoms!.
I have a thumping sound in my left ear which is random, it comes and goes but I have had a bit of pain behind my ear and also I quite often have to hold my nose and blow and my ears squeek and then I can hear properlt again, any clues,
I have had this thumping for over a year now, and my TMJ specialist said it could be very well related to jaw/neck/joint disorders.  I've been on meds to try and cure my TMJ, but the beating persists and IT'S SOOOO ANNOYING!!! Sometimes taking a muscle relaxer, sleep aid, and/or wine helps me fall asleep if it's still there before going to bed.  Otherwise, it sometimes lasts up to 15 hours at a time with short interludes of a few mins in between.  Trust me, I relate to you all!!!
I have to join in on this because I have been having a similar issue that just started a few days ago but I'm not sure I would describe mine as "thumping" as much as, well...the best way I can describe it is when you swallow how you can feel like a pressure, that doesn't hurt, in your ears or when you yawn to clear your ears?  Like that...it's very random, nothing brings it on, it's almost like a muscle spasm in my ear and like it's trying to clear my ears from pressure.  It's annoying because there is nothing I can do to make it stop and nothing to bring it on!!!  
I too for the past couple of months have been expierencing a pulsating throb with each heart beat behind my left ear.  Finally went to my family doctor and he seen what appeared to be fluid behind my ear drum.  He perscribed an antibiotic and rescheduled a follow-up appointment.  I returned for my follow-up and nothing had improved.  Lucky for me an ENT was in the office.  He looked in my ear and seen the same thing but thinks its a vascular issue.  I have a CAT scan scheduled then follow-up with the ENT Dr the following day.  I hope the throbbing is identified.  He did say what he saw was rare but nothing to lose sleep over.  Easier said than done!  Mentioned the Carotid Artery could be pressing against the underside of the ear drum which can be corrected by surgery.  He didn't think it was tumorous or malignancy.  I'll be glad to get the CAT scan results and go back to this ENT who hopefully will identify this throbbing!
I have been feeling a pulsating sensation in my left ear for about a month now.  I really only happens at my desk at work which is weird.  It happens only about once or twice a day, each time for about 10 seconds.  It feels like a blockage (where I really can't hear out of the left ear) and I hear the thumping.  I am on anti anxiety medication (Celexa).  I was wondering maybe if this was a side effect?  I've been on it for about 5 months now.  I've recently had a ton of bloodwork & everything is normal (no high blood pressure, etc).  I feel really bad for those of you on here that experience it constantly.  The ENT department as Mass General Hospital in Boston is phenomenal if you can get there to see someone.  Good luck to all & if you have a similar experience to mine and have a suggestion, please share.  Thanks so much!
A few months ago, whenever I lay down to sleep... there's a constant thumping beat in my left ear.  It doesn't hurt, but it's hard to fall asleep to.  I'm healthy 30 year old female, maybe there's some fluids in my ear that needs to be flushed out by a doctor.  
I have a similar problem to the OP. When on the mobile / cell phone and listening with my right ear only. When the other person talks on the phone I get a throb / noise in my left ear corresponding to each word that I hear in my right ear. It feels like its just inside my left ear, like a gland or a muscle is pulsating. I've had this for a few years and I'm now 34 years old. I have good hearing normally, but I really can't use my right ear to listen to phone calls as the noise it creates in my left ear is too distracting. After reading all your posts I am going to see a doctor. I would like to give a syringe a go, or maybe pop some pills. Or maybe its just my spirit being harmed by the evil cell phone?!?!?
Hi, yes, as with original poster, I get an uncomfortable thumping/pulsing in time to the loudest parts of the persons speech. It happens when I'm on a mobile phone and on my wireless landline phone. It's really odd and off-putting and uncomfortable enough to want to stop the conversation. You can't help but wonder if it's completely safe to have these EMF radiating electronic objects so close to our heads so regularly. Our brains have their own electro magnetic field don't they so is it that it's being disrupted in some way, affected negatively or even potentially damaged?
Only time will tell I suppose. Until then , we shall remain human guinea pigs!
Thank you Mr. Enovious.  I have experienced this ear thumping (left ear) twice in the last week or so.  I really appreciate your insight and immediately recognized its application to my situation.  This past January I was able to break nineteen years of over-consumption of alcohol.  I went from five or six glasses of wine per evening to two cocktails.  During the past two weeks my alcohol consumption has been on the rise.  For the last three nights I've either had anxiety dreams or have awakened with anxiety.  Just this morning I made a vow to put the drinking in check...immediately.  
For the past nine months I've been reading "Conversations with God", "The Art of Happiness" (Dalai Lama), "Still Here" (Ram Dass), "How God Changes Your Brain",etc. I've also been meditating for the first time in my life (59 years).  So, you can see why I can appreciate your wisdom.  
I've never before responded to any online discussions.  I don't have Facebook or Twitter and have no desire for either.  But I just had to reach out to you after I read a couple dumb and cruel responses to what you shared.  I'm sure you're aware that our country is not the land of deep thinkers.  It's difficult to expose yourself to people who would rather discover the next reality show than their higher selves.  You have my personal gratitude.  Namaste.
LOL "Not The land of Deep Thinkers" Yes, here it seems a circus 24/7 But where else could you get such a diverse bunch of people gathered together?!!

I  have pulsating sound in left ear and metal crickets in background chiming away...All diverse thoughts welcomed by me...For I had thought I might be in process of retuning energies for another part of my life to begin.

So thank you for all your observations and comments. I am going to enter scarey modern medicine with MRA/MRI tests to see if it can show anything...

Wrenbrook
I am a 59 female. My left ear thumping started about 10 days ago. It is much faster then my heartbeat, and does not sound/feel like a heartbeat. I also can compare it with the sense if there is some rappid muscle spasm going on. It is extremely annoying and distracting.  As a child I have had way to many inner ear infections which my mother always tried to ignore until I would spike fevers around 104 F. (LOL lovely huh?)

I don't have much faith in medical doctors if it is something out of the norm. I also suffer from Hemiplegic Migrains, which was finally diagnosed by a very good thourough and patient neurologist.

Most MD's think I am a hypocondriac and fake many of my symptoms. My older sister was treated like that also, untill 8 years after her complains started she finally received her diagnoses of MS. Just recently I had another sibbling diagnosed with MS..... Most doctors go by results what they see on MRI's, scans and/or blood tests. They KNOW that even when you test negative that it does not always MEAN that it is Negative. *UGH* Doctors make me mad.

I hope some day the medicus will find a reason for this painless but extremely annoying ear thumping. Until then they will all tell us, or at least think 'It is all in your head'. LOL Well... duh.......

PS. btw I am a hospice nurse.
Thanks Enovious, this makes more sense, to me anyway. I am 33, and had never experienced this thumping in my ear until recently. Granted i have been under a lot of stress, it is not like i have not experienced this or a higher amount of stress in the past. I have had this thumping in my left ear since the beginning of this year 2013. it is not permanent, it comes and goes. i have great hearing, so it is not a hearing loss, i am generally healthy.

I am a spiritual person, and just as i was reading how everyone says their doctor has no answer for this thumping in the ear, I started wondering about a spiritual reason, and got to your comment. i have a lot of questions about my future - i suppose everyone out there does - however, i do not think i am doing anything in the same way as i have before which may have caused me grief or problems; however, it may be my spiritual guide trying to direct me to the right path. Thanks! i will devote some of my time to meditation in an effort to see what this is all about...

Just wanted to tell you that, even though i do not know you, i am proud of you and your accomplishment with your situation. Keep it up and stay strong :)
Well I am not sure what your definition of spirit is but I sure agree your body is trying to tell you something.

I get the thumping 3x TE heartbeat rate in my right ear after I drink alcohol. I have been drinking moderately heavily for decades and if I drink more than half a bottle of wine the thumping starts. If I drink less then nothing.

Maybe my body is telling me to stop drinking so much. I have no excuse except to listen ..... Thump thump thump.
I dont know where you get that the  beating sounds is a spiritual thing. Our Guides and Protectors comunicate fine with us without making anoying sounds or ataking us. They Protect us. If our ears rings or beat, whatever we just need to see a Doctor or live with it. So.... you are not going to crack any code. For Any negativeness our guides are going to take care of it and any health problem the Doctor will work on it.
This thread has been going on since 2009. Wow. I get the thumping in my right ear, too. It is always only in my right ear, and is intermittent. I've been experiencing this since I was in my twenties (I'm 47 now). I had my ears checked like so many here and of course all normal. Bad thing is, it seems to be getting worse with age. I notice that lack of sleep triggers it the most. If I don't feel rested, then it thumps with certain consonant sounds. It is the worst in the morning, and the TV is the most irritating, or sitting in meetings when other people talk. I've been all over the Internet trying to find an answer. What I've come up with is that, one, doctors don't know anything, and two, sinus problems seem to trigger it for most people. My sinuses drain a lot, so it makes sense that this is the main trigger for me, and my ear thumps when I'm not my usual perky self.

If you want to attach spirituality to a hearing problem, go ahead. But to me this is purely physiological. A healthy lifestyle (which includes inner peace and stress management) might help keep the thumping at bay, but praying or meditating won't do crap unless it helps you get a good night's sleep.  
I am a Bluegrass musician, and i do hear lots of loud sounds, but about 3 days ago, i was in the studio and everytime i heard music my right ear would thump like a bass along with the beat, nearly driving me insane. I had to block the right ear off in order to finish my recording, this is annoying, very annoying, any suggestions on that???
I have had the same problem or similar problem. My right ear was making a loud thumping noise and would wake me up in the morning. It was loud and irregular. The sound it made was like if you put your finger on the piece of skin just forward of the ear canal and push in and release. It makes a thumping sound. That is what I was hearing.
I finally figured out how to fix it today.
I was thinking it was caused by muscles around the ear and have tried acupressure on the muscles forward and below the ear. They were very tight but I got no relief. Today I tried inside the ear just aft of the ear canal.
There was a very tight muscle that felt as hard as a bone but with constant pressure for about 2 minutes it started to relax. And gone was the annoying thumping.

Hope this helps.
I have thumping at different times when someone is talking or the TV is on, only in my left ear. I'm almost positive it's thyroid related so heading to get it tested. I also noticed a small hard lump on my thyroid a little while ago. Will update as I go...
What do we all have in common? Do we all drink lots of coffee, have high stress. It would be interesting to see our commonalities.
I get very bad pain in my ears after drinking alcohol, even days later I can get a attack of pain in my ears, sometimes it's behind the ears, sometimes it's just one ear. Someone said try vitamin c in water, I'll give it a shot. But I got to stop drinking, it does not agree with me anymore at all.

Another thing that could be making it worse is I smoke... time to give up these bad habits, I know when I didn't smoke or drink for three months I felt 20 years younger and slept like a baby, now I got nothing but stress and bad health.

I know for a fact alcohol is a big trigger for my ear pain and thumping in ear, so if you drink cut it out for a few weeks and see if that helps. And also take at least 1000mg vitamin c in a glass of water a day for a few days and a multi vitamin. I read it could be a vitamin deficiency.
I also have sinus problems for years, and the same ear problem, it could be sinus related as the sinuses are not draining properly, dehydration could be a factor, as well as irritants, such as smoking, alcohol, which both make my sinuses worse. As I type this I got a burning pain behind my right ear, and a thumping in my ear.

I also have a hangover, so I am thinking the drink is a trigger for this problem. Either mild alcohol withdrawal, dehydration, or a depletion of vitamins or minerals. I remember someone saying a isotonic sports drink can help, but I haven't tried that yet. Maybe it's just tension or stress, I don't really know.

What I do know is that when I get this beating and pain in ear, it feels like my head is going to pop. It's scary. One night it was so bad I could feel my inner ear popping so fast it was like a machine gun going off for about 10 minutes.

My advice is just take better care of yourselves, I usually get these problems when I am run down due to either drinking to much alcohol, smoking or to much stress and anxiety.