Ear, Nose & Throat Community
tickle in back of throat and coughing all night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have a tickle in the back of my throat and I cough all night. This wakes me up frequently, and I have a hard time stopping the tickle and coughing. This keeps me from getting adequate sleep. I have tried over the counter and prescription cough medicines. I was on allegra and my doctor has switched me to zyrtec. There has not been any improvement. When I am having a bad night I have to keep 2 lozenges in my mouth to get any sleep. Some nights after getting to sleep I wake coughing and choking. I also have a frequent tickle in my throat throughout the day.
Any thoughts? Help I’m sooo tired.
Beth
Any thoughts? Help I’m sooo tired.
Beth
Sounds like acid reflux. An ENT physician is a good place to start. You may want to try to avoid eating/drinking for 2 hours before going to bed, taking a proton-pump inhibitor for reflux, and avoiding caffeine, alc beverages, acidic foods like tomato based foods, chocolate, and staying well hydrated.  You may also try to incline the head of your bed using more pillows.

Good Luck!
Sounds similar to the problem I had for years.  Do you have a lot of mucous in the back of your throat.  If so it could be post nasal drip.  Try prescription nose drops.  It works for me.  I just apply as needed.
Had this same problem for 4  months, I've been on antibiotics 3 times, taken prescription and over the counter allergy meds, including nasal sprays, now  taking medicine for  Acid Reflux,  still having
this chronic,heaving dry cough all day and night.  I took codeine cough meds for 2 months, withdrawal from codeine ,was not fun, taken all  kind cough drops and done all kinds of  tests, I've seen the ENT doctor, My Primary doctor several times, The pulmonologist and the GI doctor.  Now
waiting to do a cat scan of my sinuses.  I watch my diet and sleep elevated on three pillows.              

If you find some help let me know.
I had the same symptoms as you and have, seen all the same drs and had all the tests done (including scopes and ct scans), taken all kinds of meds - ent admits she has no idea what the problem is.  Mine has been going on for nine straight months.  Even my chest xrays come out clear.  Its very frustrating, especially since in addition to this nagging cough, I get no sleep.  Good luck in finding the problem and if you find a solution PLEASE let me know!