Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ulcer tonsil on left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ulcer tonsil on left side

i have a bad ulcer on my tonsils after a really bad sore throat and they tested me for strep but it came back negative. I went to a specialist today and he put me on an antibiotic, what could of caused this and is it normal to feel like something is stuck in my throat?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Throat infection and consequent tonsillitis, can cause ulcers in the throat and tonsils. The surrounding swelling and inflammation can produce a foreign body sensation in the throat. Once the infection resolves, your symptoms should subside. Continue with your antibiotics and do warm salt water gargles.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thank you for your response. I am doing much better now. I ended my antibiotics on monday and i am feeling so much better the sensation that something is stuck in my throat is hardly there anymore. I hope i will not get it back since i am done my antibiotics.If it was just a bacteria infection and it was not strep how could i get it and is it contagious because my kids are sick now with a sore throat?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Yes, throat infections are contagious and can spread by droplets. And these viruses over time adapt, that means they develop new strains to fight the medications and immune mechanisms to survive. Besides it depends on one’s immunity also. If it is good the person may not develop the infection and even if he develops it may be mild. If the immunity is relatively less then he is likely to easily contact the infection and may have more symptoms. The best bet would be improving one’s immunity. You can do this by consuming plenty of fruits and vegetables, eating a well balanced diet, maintaining an ideal body weight, exercising regularly and by leading a stress free life. Hope this helped.
hi..i have a ulser on my left tonsil..and i feel lke something is stuck in my throat(esophagis).is it because of the ulcer..or any gastric problem?