Ear, Nose & Throat Community
unable to smell anything

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

unable to smell anything

I HAD A HEAD COLD IN FEBRUARY AND I USED AFRIN IN EACH NOSTRIL. IT CLEARED UP MY SINUSES BUT NOW I CAN'T SMELL ANYTHING. I MEAN SKUNKS, CANDLES,OR ANYTHING!!!!! IF I DO GET A WHIFF OF ANYTHING I SMELL CLEANING FLUIDS EVERY TIME , INSTEAD OF WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS. WHAT IS WRONG???
I had a head cold in November of last year and it left me unable to smell or tell the different in things orders. Well, now I have a horrible taste and what I do smell all smells the same. Perfume, candles, cleaning fluids, everything smells the same and that's on the days when I can smell orders so if you get any information please pass it on to me, I have been to two ENT's only to be given nasals sprays and nasals rinse.
Allergies and sinus infections can cause a loss of smell/taste and apparently so can nasal decongestants, which is what you took - Afrin. Having an infection in the sinuses could cause a bad smell/taste, when you consider having infection on other parts of the body produce a bad smell too Cindysue. Just a thought. :)
My sense of smell has gone completely after using this nasal spray on and off for 2 weeks due to hay fever. I have stopped using it now, does anyone know if my sense of smell will return?