Ear, Nose & Throat Community
unable to smell or taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

unable to smell or taste

Several months ago I noticed a decrease in smelling, I was given a nasal rinse and nasal spray by a ENT. Now I tend to have this awful smell which is now affecting my taste. Everything tends to smell and taste the same. Sometimes the smell is so awful it causes me to feel sick to my stomach. I am unable to tell the difference in orders which again is affecting my taste of foods and drinks. I am 45 y/ o and expected some changes but nothing like this. This is awful and more awful than anything is that no-one has an answer or cure.
Please HELP!
i have the same effing thing!!!!!

message me if u find out how to get rid of it
Your ENT is halfway correct--a nasal rinse will cure the problem, except due to gravity, the nasal rinse will only go about halfway up your sinuses, and will be nearly useless.  The smell is caused by anaerobic bacteria, near your olfactories.

I developed the flip-turn sinus flush, which has cured 4 bouts with the smell (like Parmesan and dogpoop) which I'd get when I had chronic sinus problems (now permanently cured).  The drawback is that you have to bend over in a shower to take advantage of gravity, and that's always a risk.  If you want the technique, cursor the blue "friggy" and go the the Journal.  The instructions seem complicated, but that's a result of caution.

You can also look for also try a Grossman nasal pulse machine, which operates on the same theory.  I've never tried it, though.