Ear, Nose & Throat Community
under ear pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

under ear pain

Does anyone have any idea what would cause me to have very sharp pains underneath my ears? Not both at the same time and not continuous. Sometimes only two or three pains....sometimes pains all night or all day. It is the kind of pain that catches you off guard and makes you jump if you know what I mean. My sinuses are "crystal clear" and so are my ears according to an MRI I had last week. Have also been having a continual headache for over two months. Any help and ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
Sorry...I hate to sound dumb...but do you mean under your ear as in on your neck? Or like inside your head/ear area...does that make sense? I don't really know the cause but I know what you are talking about...I've had mine do that before on occassion.
You don't sound dumb at all..I didn't explain it well. I guess you'd call it on my neck. It's the little indention right behind my earlobe. It feels like it is swollen/tight or something when it's taking those pains. It feels like the pains shoot back into the ear from there. See, it's hard for me to explain. Sorry, my explaination is what sounds dumb!
No, it doesn't. It's hard to explain stuff...when you can't see each other pointing it out! LOL I know what you are saying...and I'm wondering if that's not either neck pain related or I thought there was lymph nodes there. (i'm not a doctor/nurse i just read alot and have worked in the medical field to know just enough to be dangerous lol)

I wonder (may sound far fetched) but could it be muscle spasms there? You said it feels tight...that's why I was thinking that.

Does your doctor have any opinions even though your scans were clear?
I was wondering if it could be muscle spasms also. I do have alot of trouble with the muscles in the back of my neck and shoulders.My neurologist said he thought my headaches are muscular/nerve related and started me on neurontin and naproxen. The headaches have eased a little bit (still there) but I still have these stabbing pains periodically. Also it seems to switch ears at times! lol Thanks for your replies. It seems like I'm on almost all of these forums!!! Must be getting old....
Oh don't worry about what all forums you are on! You are getting different advice from different people...that's a good idea.

I am guessing it's a muscle thing maybe???
Hi! That may be what it is. I don't know if that's a common place for muscle pain or not. If that's what it is maybe the meds the neurologist put me on will help. I've taken them for five days...so should see improvement soon if it helps. Thanks again for the help. It does help to talk to others....that saves me from driving my husband & son crazy. (Well, maybe not completely...I still complain to them too.) I hate feeling like this all the time you know?
Are they stabbing, needle-like, electrical, bolt-from-the-blue pains? I had those, in the location you describe. Under both ears separately, with random "attacks" over a couple of weeks (this was 9 years ago).

I now believe they were a small first attack of trigeminal neuralgia. They went away, but months later I began having a lot of other shocks, both painless and mildly painful, in my face on both sides, though mainly the left. Around my eye, side of nose, and upper lip. When I first saw a diagram of the trigeminal nerve, I thought, WOW--that's my shocks.

I also had a bunch of other weird neuro symptoms, including dizziness and Lhermitte's, and was once practically told I had MS--then told I didn't have it.

So, consider trigeminal neuralgia if they are electrical-type pains. I still have face shocks but they are mostly painless or at best mildly (and rarely) painful.

Nancy T.
I don't know but I don't think that's it. I don't think the pains are 'electrical' like you say. I had a morton's neuroma removed so I can understand 'shocking' pain. lol These pains aren't quite like that.

Thanks for the suggestion and for taking the time to answer. I hope that you've got your symptoms under control?

Thanks again
i know exactly what your talking about if feels like this tightness right behind the ear like on the neck i have the same thing and don't know what it is but it is driving me crazy
It kind of does sound like muscle spasms.