Ear, Nose & Throat Community
unilateral tonsillar hypertrophy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

unilateral tonsillar hypertrophy

My son has one tonsil that is very swollen, it isn't that the cavity that the tonsil is placed is different than the other because it has not always been this way. It was first noticed when taken in for an upper respiratory infection 2 weeks ago. The infection resolved but not the tonsil, now we are having 'choking' episodes and that has developed into difficulty swallowing, the pediatrician has referred him to an ENT specialist as his blood work (finger poke) came back not showing infection or a virus. He is also complaining of a 'full' feeling in his belly. The ped did not check other nodes or palpitate his belly at all. Now to the question portion, i'm feeling quite concerned at this point that we could be looking at something serious, is this a valid concern? Would some sort of lymphoma or other cancer show up this way? or am I overreacting? I know the dangers of 'internet diagnosing' but these sites are really scaring me.
Raelle
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.
Please stop worrying, the tonsillar enlargement could be due to an infection. Sometimes persistent enlargement of the tonsil can sometimes be due to a lymphoma. It would be worthwhile to see if other lymph groups are enlarged namely, axilla and groin, these can be palpated, the others like those in the chest or abdomen may need a CT to detect their enlargement. Sometimes the tonsil may be removed for histopathological study. Please discuss this with your ENT specialist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.