Ear, Nose & Throat Community
weird dizziness as when eyes closed and laying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

A few times when I am trying to get to sleep or in the morning when I am waking up I feel like I start to get dizzy. When I close my eyes and try to sleep I feel like it starts to spin and then when I open my eyes everyhting is fine no spinning no dizzines no nothing. I went to an ENT and told him all about this and he said i didnt have any ear problem or inner ear diease and that this could be anixety and that when ur eyes and ear and feet arent working toegther then u could feel dizzy??? could this really be or something else??please help
Olivia...what you're describing is exactly how I've been feeling on and off for months!!!!  I don't have any real answers for you but I will tell you thatI have lots of sinus issues and have sinus surgery scheduled in 3 weeks.  I hope it is all related and I wish there was something I could tell you to help but I just wanted you to know that I am experiencing the same thing...you're  not alone!!!!
thanks for repsonding....It just like worrys me b.c I always worry every night now that I willget dizzy...its like such a werid dizziness like when I open my eyes its totally fine...its soo werid..like sometimes when I opened my eyes and my neck was twisted it felt like my brain or inside was moving but nothing else...soo werid and soo hard to describe...idk if i have nay sinus issues? idk i just hate this so much im very depressed...
I would seek a SECOND opinion; another ENT Specialist, preferably one that specializes with inner disorders/diseases, and REQUEST vestibular testing.  These tests will rule out any problems with the inner ear.  Not all ENT Specialists are COMPETENT to deal with inner ear issues as I have found out the hard way.  

It is not uncommon for one to experience anxiety with an inner problem.

Do you have a history of anxiety?  

I do NOT think this is JUST anxiety.    
I saw an ENT who specialzes in balance disorders and he told me that I didnt even need the testing....I have always had pretty bad anixety...espeically related to my health....I really dont think its an inner ear thing after he told me that...but what else could it be?????
and this was my second opinion...I had already seen an ENT before this who said the same thing.
Well, if you didn't have any Vestibular testing, it is difficult to say what this may be.

Are you on medication for the anxiety and/or seeking psychotherapy?  

no I am not on any meds. I don't want to take that test...where it makes u dizzy..I have a HUGE BEYOND HUGE fear of being dizzy soo....idk...I am going for the hearing test on fri. to rule out menieres. soo idk...do u think it could be neck related too?? my neck is in constant pain.
I don't know how the ENT Specialist will be able to make a diagnosis of Meniere's based just on a hearing test; vestibular testing is done too.  

Have you had any imaging of your neck at all?  (MRI, CT)
he could tell by my symptoms...thats I told him...no I have not..
If he thinks it is Meniere's WITHOUT  testing and based on symptoms, why did he not prescribe any medication for it?  i.e. Betahistine/Antivert?  

Your symptoms sounds NOTHING like Meniere's to me.  

You should be taking something for your anxiety; sounds extreme to me.  
no he doesnt think it is meneries he thinks it is anxiety but to put my mind at rest he suggested the hearing test....I am ust wondering about this new symptom...which didnt hapened last night or this morning soo idk..i think it is anixety im moving out this fall and im really stressed and worried about it so mabye thtas why...idk but he told me he doesnt think i have ANY ear disorder but of course the hyprochondriac that I am,..,.I think I might have one...
Hi Olivia,

It is indeed very unusual to have a dizziness the one you are experiencing.

Physiology of balancing depends on three factors visual, tactile and inner ear (vestibular apparatus). Problems arising from any of the three factors will send abnormal responses to the brain causing dizziness.

Many different conditions can cause dizziness or sensations of being off-balance, for example, certain heart conditions, or blood disorders like anemia. Dizziness is also the unwanted side effect of many different medications.

In your case as you have mentioned that there is no loss of hearing, hearing tests are normal, you do not have tinnitus, fullness of the ears, and so it is unlikely to be Meniere’s disease. Vestibular neuronitis is also ruled out as you have giddiness only during closure of your eyes not incapacitated by this dizziness for hours/days.

It must be probably either cervical vertigo or BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) causing this problem. But, your neurologist would definitely be smart enough to diagnose the above conditions.

You better get your eyes checked up, get Hallpike’s manoeuvre done.

Do not worry! Please do have faith in your doctor.

Regards
OHNS2010
thanks for repsonding.....yea I think it has to do something with my neck...b/c it has been hurting for a while and i went to a physical therapist and they told me thta my c4 and c5 were out of whack soo maybe that could be casuing this. I don't think it is bppv b.c last night i didnt have any dizziness and it happens when i really think about it soo i think i may be causing it. if it was bppv wouldnt it happen everytime i move my head or lay down or anything like not just certain ways i lay down. like its weird when i lay on my side i kinda feel dizzy and then when i lay on my stomach with my head turned it doesnt happen...soo i am thinking it could be my neck??? do you think?? i am going to the ent tomorrow to get a hearing test and i hope my doc is there so i can ask more questions.
and I told my doc about being dizzy when sleeping and then opening my eyes and everything is fine..and he told me that it was becasue my feeet are not touching the ground and my eyes are closed and my ears soo i react funny to it. he also said he didnt think i could have bppv...soo..idk he says he doesnt think i have any ear disorder and this was a specialzed balance ent and this was also my second opinion...the first guy also told me he thought it was anixety...soo idk.
I also occisionally have dizziness when i bend my head over this happens prob like once every few months and it can happen either when i wake up or like once it happened at night and it lasted until i woke up the next morninig. like i am dizzy if i hold my head down and then when i come back up im fine...and it last like everytime i bedn my head over for  that day...like it doesnt last any more than a day and it is not dizzy constant just when i bend my head...but it cant be bppv b/c that has to last days right?? i think it happens onces and then i become soo fearful that maybe i am causing it to happen again and again??? but like i said it happens like every few months sooo my ENT said it was nothing to worry about??? I see that you are an ENT soo I am like trying to pick ur brain...haha thanks for ur help!!

Definitely anxiety plays a major role in causing dizziness but, before accusing anxiety to be the culprit, I would rather try to evaluate and rule out all the other possible causes of dizziness.

Fatiguability is the clinching feature of BPPV, more you try to induce dizziness in one particular position it disappears after few minutes.

Any how only with proper investigations the probable cause can be found out. Dizziness is such a thing even the best of the doctors some time fail to identify the exact cause.

All The Best

Regards
OHNS2010
so u think it is bppv?? even though it didnt happen last night and it doesnt happen all the time?? and wouldnt bppv happen even when I open my eyes?? its like a werid dizziness that almost feels like I am being pulled like a weird pulling sensation...I wish i could explain it better.
my ear also clicks sometimes when I am laying down??

Truly, BPPV does occur with the eyes open/closed it is more concerned with the otoconia in the lateral semicircular canals and the change in position of the head. Take a second opinion if possible also get an MRI done to look for any other lesions in the brain.

Regards
OHNS2010
I went to the ENT  to get a hearing test and they said it was completely fine. so I am good there. Last night I had no dizziness or anything....I don't think it could be an inner ear problem or the ent would have told me. thanks for ur help...I am sure ill be back on these sites again haha
it happend again this morning an then when i bent my head down and held it there for a while...after a while it happed again when i closed my eyes but again it stopped when i opened them...and its not like a spinnning sensation its like my body is moving...i wish i could explain it better....dou think it could be related to my neck?? i think it might be

As I had mentioned in my previous posts coordination of eyes, tactile organs and the semicircular canals in the ear are all responsible for the complete balance of the human body. On some occasions there is mismatch in coordination and the brain receives wrong information hence causing  this imbalance. There can also be a component of this cervical vertigo involved, but can not blame it completely. Well, try the rehabilitation exercises which I mentioned earlier you can benefit from it.

Regards
OHNS2010
anyone else think of what this could be??
Do not alarm,i had this problem to. Every single time when closed my eyes,the room start to spin and a wierd feeling in my stomach like i was terible drunk,or in a rollercoster. You need a combination of vitamine b shots. If you try to take oraly,trust me,it's not gonna work. B1,b6,b12(i dont remember the quantity of vials) all in a syringe and 2 a day. In the morning and in the evening. I`m from romania and i don't know exactly how are the B Vitamines in US but here are in vials of: B1 100ml,b6 250ml,and b12 250ml. I think this was the combo of the shots i did the doctor for 5 days. The shots are not to bad(hurts only slightly),and after first 2 shots intramuscular,i never had dizzines. I did the shots 5 years ago. All of you who has problems with dizzines with eyes closed or other kinds of vertigo,dizzines,balance problems and never find the treatment,trust me,This is the treatment. B1,B6 and B12 all in 1 syringe twice a day. These injections you can do up 2 weeks but the b6 must be lower(100ml) if you do for 2 weeks. In romania this is a revolutions in treatment of dizzines and vertigo. I must say i  can not believe how many cases of vertigo and dizzines could not be solved in a country with such a great medicale centers. I hope that i was helpful. Sorry for my english. If you have questions,ask. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Avatar n tn
Olivia - It's been a while since you have posted.  Have you overcome your dizziness while closing your eyes or have you found the cause?  I would love to know because I am suffering with something very similar right now.

Thank you!
Olivia, I have experienced your EXACT description for about 4 years now. Ive learned how to control it for the most part but sometimes I can't and I have to just sit up with my eyes open. When I would get my eyebrows done or makeup done, I'd have to close my eyes and inside it would start spinning like no other and I'd have to leave the appointment because I just couldn't shut my eyes anymore. I never got tested, but I have always had anxiety problems and it is so mysterious but I think it might be related to that. When I started taking anxiety medicine 3 years ago, I experienced the spinning much less often when I shut my eyes.
Do you guys get other symptoms like tinnitus, sore eyes, fatigue, aches and pains ?
realy dude same with me feel dizzy when i close my eyes

i hate this but i cant do something i think im going mad feel so sad
Hi ive been avin the same issues ayt nyt the doctors arnt even sure wot it is ive got sum betahistine so im hopein they will help also im seein the nurologist in may as ive been gettin headaches an neck an shoulder pains so fingers crossed they will shed sum light on the problems hope u feel betta soon
Hi, just saw your post now, when looking on internet about my dizziness causes, im romanian to and living in Uk, had a sore ear and got a treatment for it, but when i mentioned my dizziness i've been told that i'll get better after ending the treatment. Finished my treatment from almost one month and im the same: im lying down on my bed and when trying to move my head i feel dizzy and my stomach feels funny, sometimes happens even when i stand and if i move my eye quick to other direction feels like im going to lose control of my body. If you gad something similar, please let me know and also it will be nice to hear and communicate in our language as it will make it easier for me to find out exactly your symptoms and compare them with mine. Thanks
I think it could be from stress in your neck, I have same thing like u to and I think it maybe applied to labyrinthine my mom won't listen to me she thinks it's anxiety. What can I do to stop this and is it dangerous and would I die from  this????
Avatar n tn
it is amazing what you are talking about. It is exactly what I feel. I have been around teh world to find out what the hell is going on. Please email me to see a solution together. ***@****. i will share my info with you as well. I am scheduled to go visit a doctor in Germany soon.
If you are in school go to your school nurse and then your mom has no chose but to lissen.
Why do I get light headed when I'm laying in bed with my eyes shut
Avatar n tn
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs30 \cf0 \cb2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec3 Hello, I have the same problem. When I close my eyes and try to sleep, it is so troubling with moving eyes or moving head or dizzy kind of shaking inside?\
I have vestibular dizzy (BPPV). I am 31 years old. I have been going to a physiotherapist and doing the exercises according his treatment. I do not have any dizziness now while walking or lying down but the only problem is when I close my eyes, it's like something running in my head. I wish I could explain the problem better. I have been waiting ENT appointment. Thanks all
I'm experiencing the exact same situation now, whenever i close my eyes, it starts to feel like things are moving around. I just had a BPPV strike 2 weeks ago, after some Betahistine, the vertigo is gone, but i'm left with this weird sensation when i close my eyes, I can't sleep without sleeping pills...need help!! Anyone has any solution?
Are you still experiencing this... I have the same thing wondering if you found a answer I've had cut scans and blood work and cats scans of all organs and ultr sounds everything was normal ents I've seen all day bppv but then I went to a chiro and has X-rays done and my c1-c3 are all badly out of whack and I've lost the curve in my neck and the curve of my spine. If I move my head a little to reposition my neck the dizziness usually goes away ...
I just had this dizzy feeling this morning ,