Ear, Nose & Throat Community
what does sinus draining entail?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

what does sinus draining entail?

About 2  1/2 months ago I got a bad tooth infection that turned into a bad sinus infection in spite of three courses of penicillin and two tooth extractions. The sinus infection never went away and has been making my life miserable. So finally I go for a CT scan, which confirmed that I have pansinusitis (ALL of my sinuses on the left side of my face are completely full. Radiologist said not a single speck of open space left) and I have been referred to an ENT and put on Levaquin. One of the things mentioned that they might do is drain the sinuses. I have to have relief and will put up with whatever, but I watch way too many House MD shows and am worried that they are going to pull out some big needle and jam it in my face like a facial lumbar puncture. Can somebody clue me in about this procedure from a patient's point of view? Doctors always say, "this will just pinch a little" while holding the giant needle behind their back (yeah, I'm a needle phobe).
well I found out what it entails, because I had it done today. Awful and painful. My face hurts SO bad right now. The doctor numbed my nose, then used a needle to numb deeper, then punched a sharp trocar through my nose bone into my sinus. Then he hooked up tubing and flushed it 4 times, suctioning inbetween flushes. Both the flushing and suctioning hurt and by the end I was on the verge of barfing and passing out. I am now on penicillin for at least 6 weeks, with it overlapping the last of my levaquin, plus steroid nose spray. If that doesn't work, the next step is endoscopic surgery. So if anybody wants to know what sinus draining entails, here it is. Way fun. NOT.