Ear, Nose & Throat Community
white mass on posterior pharyngeal wall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

white mass on posterior pharyngeal wall

I have a white mass on my throat. Yesterday I went to my dr and he wants me to see a specialist to get a biopsy. Im freaking out. Im 28, and one of the possibilities he mentioned was cancer.

the mass is about the size of my pinky nail, white and pink in color, and rather hard. It feels l smooth to the touch, almost like a blister.

I first noticed about 3 weeks ago, and since then I have not observed and change in size of shape, other than now I notice the wall of my throat seems a bit more white.

I have no other symptoms that I've taken note of.

the first picture blow is a bit rough, the second is more clear.

http://tinypic.com/r/2iasgg1/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2aikcw6/6

my question is what could this be other than cancer, and what are the chances of this being cancer?
bump?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

White patches are common in many throat  infections. It could also occur due to trauma, chemical injury. It could also be Leukoplakia, which is a condition where patches of keratosis appear as adherent white patches on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity and throat. It is a potentially pre-cancerous disease of the mouth and throat. A biopsy may help to diagnose this condition. The cause of leukoplakia is unknown, but tobacco, whether smoked, dipped or chewed, is considered to be the main culprit in its development. Treatment is with laser or cryo. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.