Ear, Nose & Throat Community
white puss balls

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

white puss balls

i have these white puss balls on the left side of my mouth back near my tonsils it seems to be causing my throat to hurt. ive had the puss back there for over 3 months continuously. i can cough and some how get it out and its hard balls but they can be squished. i have heard it can be normal to have it there but ive had it continuously for a long length of time.
I had one. Have you been checked by a doctor? I had strep. But, there are alot of diagnoses that can cause these. But, if you havent been seen by a doctor you should.
Generally these are actually tonsil stones. If you aren't experiencing any other symptoms of feeling ill, just the things on your tonsils...then I can bet that's what it is.

Do they have a foul smell? Most people complain of the smell, or complain of having bad breath.

You can read more about tonsil stones at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith  (looking up tonsil stones on wikipedia)

and that will provide excellent insight. They aren't anything to really be concerned about...more of an annoyance than anything.

Best of luck!
Ashley
Hi there, I've experienced this for 3 years now and they come and go many times through the year. I get them quite a lot, they are nicknamed tonsil stones and I find I get them more when Im stressed.
They are harmless but quite annoying and can leave a horrible taste in the back of your throat. They can be quite difficult to remove yourself if you have a sensitive gag reflex, but if youre like me then you'l have no trouble.
They are easy to remove with cotton wool buds, just shine a torch down your throat and apply pressure where you can see them and they just pop out. There are many holes in tonsils so can be tricky at times. Just make sure you brush your teeth really well and more importantly the back of your tongue. Because these "tonsil stones" are built up of bacteria. Hope I've helped.
I've been getting tonsil stones as a child, but didn't know what it was until a couple of days ago when I googles it n bam there it popped up. I went to the doctor on Monday and he said that he didn't see anything, I told him that I feel n see something that's unusual in my mouth. I suffer from allergies n sinus bad. I have post nasal drip n rhinitis everyday n I think it's coming from that. I am so embarrassed becuz they smell awful. My fiance said that my breath smell like doo doo. I felt embarrassed. Hopefully when I go to the ENT next week he will get it out. It is huge. I tried everything to get it out but it is lodged deeply in the foreskin of my tonsils. I tried qtip dental floss pick, and a spoon nothing is working. I am ready for this to be gone.