Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
?

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

?

From around the age of 13, I've suffered from unilateral head and neck pain on the right side.  My chiropractor aptly describes my symptoms as left side of body weakness, increased pressure on the right side of the head and spinal (cervical) pain.  The pain's epicenter seems to emanate from the area just behind the right ear.  I mentioned this to my uncle, non-practicing but a doctor, nonetheless (who unfortunately lives 400 miles away), thinking it might have to do with all the earaches I had as a youngster.  In my limited knowledge of anatomy I offered the idea that perhaps these chronic ear infections have something to do with the mastoid process.  He said, that what I was thinking rarely occurs nowadays due to the availability of penicillin and that I would have to have been hospitalized.  What is your opinion?

I was looking at a diagram, once, that was showing possible causes for headaches.  The depiction showed what a subcutaneous hematoma looks like.  There's a bump at the top of my head near the rear that comes close to resembling this depiction.  Before the head and neck pain came about, I can't really remember my head being shaped like this.  If nothing else, this might give you an idea of the inflammation that seems to be taking place.
1 Comment
From around the age of 13, I've suffered from unilateral head and neck pain on the right side.  My chiropractor aptly describes my symptoms as left side of body weakness, increased pressure on the right side of the head and spinal (cervical) pain.  The pain's epicenter seems to emanate from the area just behind the right ear.  I mentioned this to my uncle, non-practicing but a doctor, nonetheless (who unfortunately lives 400 miles away), thinking it might have to do with all the earaches I had as a youngster.  In my limited knowledge of anatomy I offered the idea that perhaps these chronic ear infections have something to do with the mastoid process.  He said, that what I was thinking rarely occurs nowadays due to the availability of penicillen.  What is your opinion?