Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
recovery for mastoidectomy

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

recovery for mastoidectomy

Hi, I had a mastoidectomy  9/3 and really am wondering just how long I need to stay home? I was off almost 2 weeks and went back for four days. My dr. said I should have taken more care...? He is so vague-- now I'm thinking I went back too early? It went well, and I've been off pain pills since about the 4th or 5th day. I'm in good health but am 53 and I teach needy children in the 2nd grade. You know....teachers never sit down and we get stressed easily! Should I take more time off?  (it's been almost 3 weeks now) My doctor said I was pushing it-- but when pressed for an answer- he won't say exactly. Thanks for your help!

kk53
Tags: mastoid
People heal and recover at different rates.  A specific time course may work for one patient but be "pushing it" for antoher.  Although three weeks of recovery time seems ample, only your surgeon can evaluate how you have healed.  In addition, how you feel in regards to energy, dizziness, pain control, etc can play a part to your successful return to work.  Good luck in your recovery.  
Thanks for your help. I thought so.
kk53
A related discussion, mastoidectomy and imbalnce was started.