Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
After Eating Cough

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

After Eating Cough

Hi.
I'm a gynecology med student, and I couln't find anything in my books about what is happening.
Whenever I will eat something, like breakfast or lunch, I have no problem swallowing or salivating. About a half and hour after I eat, my throat becomes "clogged" and I feel like I can't breathe. I keep coughing to get what I think it mucus out of my throat, but it doesn't work, and makes my throat feel even more clogged. It's annoying me (not to mention my boss who thinks I'm doing a sarcastic throat clearing cough), and it makes my throat sore afterwards. I have tried and changed everything about my diet to see if it has something to do with that, but I still get a clogged throat. My tonsils are larger than normal, but not gigantic. It happens sometimes at night, too. I will try to go to bed, but my throat will feel like it's clogged..and I will get the constant urge to cough that doesn't stop.
Is it something to do with the size of my tonsils, or is it the beginning to acid reflux?
Thanks.
Your story is consistent with reflux...problems after eating or when lying down at night (gravity not helping to keep contents in your stomach).  You should probably get looked at to rule any other causes (sinus drainage, pulmonary issues including cough variant asthma, etc).