Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Allergies caused fluid in ears....can't get it out!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Allergies caused fluid in ears....can't get it out!

I've had a cold brought on from allergies for over a week. It caused fluid to build up in my left ear. I've been given lots of sample allergy pills and told to get Mucinex to help remove the fluid but neither has worked. Then I was given a prescription for an antibiotic which has not worked. I've tried all the home remedies to remove the fluid....ear drops, hair dryer blown at ear, heat pack on ear, popping my ears (which I tried and failed to do). I can't find anything else to try that doesn't sound ridiculous. I am open to any suggestions. The fluid is driving me nuts and I can't hear.
Please and Thank You
Molly
Related Discussions
554959_tn?1216064566
Sensations of ear pressure, fluid, and inability to "pop" the ears are consistent with eustacian tube dysfunction (tube the regulates middle ear pressure).  Having an upper respiratory infection (cold) or allergies can contribute to this problem and last for several weeks.  Decongestants (both oral and nasal) can sometimes be helpful.  Sometimes steroid nasal sprays can be helpful as well.  Having an ent rule out any lesions in the back of the nose (nasopharynx) is important for any adult with fluid in one ear.  
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks for the comment.  I've been using Nasonex and the Mucinex so I've got the decongestants down. I think I might go back in in a few days and see what they say.
Thanks for taking out the time to read my question!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank