Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Apple Cider Vinegar? Wives tale?

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Apple Cider Vinegar? Wives tale?

I have had severe sinus problems and allergies for as long as I can remember. I recently read an article about the use of apple cider vinegar with allergies. Can you tell me if this is worthwhile to try?
There are many home remedies that are useful.  I have not recommended the use of apple cider vinegar and can't comment on its effectiveness.  Knowing that you have allergies to various substances, working with an allergist to control your symptoms  would be useful and may help your sinus symptoms.  Also, you should be evaluated by an ent for the tongue ulcer as well as the spitting up of blood.  Although the blood could be just from irritation to your nasal linings, it could be coming from other causes and should be evaluated.  
Also,I have been having sinus problems once again. Have severe allergy to mold and dust, and mild seasonal allergies as well. Recently I have felt like my throat is constricting and it's a bit hard to swallow. Also, I have an ulcer on my tongue, and sore throat (most likely from post nasal drip). I got up from the couch yesterday and thought that I was going to spit out some phlegm and It was all blood. 7 years ago I went thru all kinds of antibiotics and treatments for sinusitus and the best thing the doctors were able to come up w/ was allergies. In 2001 I had a CT scan w/ contrast of my sinuses and the Dr. said it was fine. Any Ideas? I am tired of this suffering.
I have used the Apple Cider Vinegar treatment for allergies, and I can say that it does indeed work, but don't expect a miracle cure. If you do have sinusitis, you know as well as I that any thing that helps a little helps a lot!
I have chronic sinusitis which worsened when taking antibiotics. I now believe it is caused by a fungal infection as opposed to a bacterial infection. Something to think about.
Fyi if you can get a hold of local honey (from a health food store or farmer's market) this works really well for allergies as well.
Both my son and myself had sinus and allergies. We tried the NeilMed Rinse. It is a bottle (unlike the messy neti-pot) with packets of saline solution that you add with the water and shake and squirt up the nose. I bought the kit at Walmart and they will order you the extra packets if necessary. If you do it AM and PM it just cleared everything up for me and now I can breathe again. It really helped my son also. He had previously even had the surgery for his sinuses and that didn't help him at all. I no longer need to use it but he still does it in the PM.