Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Bloody nose and ear

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bloody nose and ear

I have had BAD nose bleeds for years.  I've had my nose cauterized at least twice (very painful), but still have the nose bleeds.  Have been experiencing them daily for nearly a week - and noticed there is dried blood in my ear, too.  I have no allergy symptoms, no sinus infection symptoms.  The nose bleeds happen at any and all times of the day and night - sometimes they awaken me. They may last 10 minutes or over an hour.  Any ideas what is going on!
Persistent nose bleeds can stem from anything from trauma in the nose to irritation to the lining in the nose to a host of other processes.  Certain medications can cause the body to have difficulty clotting.  Vascular malformations, telengiactasias and masses can all lead to nose bleeds.  If you are having bleeding from various sites of the body, ruling out systemic problems and bleeding disorders is important.  Work with you ent to control the bleeding and have a thorough examination of the nose and ear.  Blood tests to check your coagulation would be a good place to start.  Best wishes.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Ear bleeding from a common cold? was started.