Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Caloric Test results

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Caloric Test results

Can you explain  the outcome for the caloric tests on the ENG

Right ear hot - 1st one done thought it was bad
Left ear hot - 20 times worse than the right ear
Right ear cold (bear in mind he told me with cold sometimes you don't spin as much) - worse than with warm water (could not recount any football teams beginning with A or B or C or D or...
Left ear cold - ahhhh thats better still spinny but nothing like the other could easily count in 4s to 160

Am i right thinking it is my right ear that has the problem?
Tags: caloric
I'm not a doctor, but on a dizziness list that I've followed for a long time, the balance-testing expert (he runs a balance clinic so knows everything about ENG) always tells us that your symptoms during the ENG (how much you spin) are NOT necessarily correlated to the actual results of the ENG. In other words, you can't really tell anything from your symptoms during the ENG.

Did you get your results from the doctor yet?

(FOOTBALL teams?? I'm glad they didn't ask ME that. I'd be clueless.)

Nancy T.
No i havent had the results from the doctor yet, but the phyisian who was doing the tests with the consultant agreed that my response was corresponding to the eye movements on the computer.

He has referred me to have my own programme of VRT tailored to my needs. Have you any experience of VRT.

Yes, I was sent to a vestibular physical therapist. I had some benefit from it (less difficulty watching motion such as traffic), although both the referring neurologist and the therapist seemed doubtful that it would help me (I think because my problems are not clearly limited to the inner ear--something with my brain also appears to be going on).

But especially for people with inner-ear problems, VRT can be extremely helpful in identifying the specific weaknesses in your vestibular functioning. The therapist designs exercises specifically targeted to your weaknesses. Do these religiously and you'll get better. Sounds like your doctor knows what he/she is doing! Good luck.

Nancy T.
My bad side is the right, I always though it was the left, but i have hearing loss on right and not a really bad response on caloric test with warm on this side compared with other. But what I don't understand is i get pulled to the left. Any ideas.
Afraid not...but I'm sure the doctor who answers questions here will be able to tell you something.