Can tinnitus be caused by post nasal drip?
I have had a post nasal drip for years. Went to an allergist and they gave me a cat scan of my sinuses. Found deviated septum and a radicular cyst. with some mucosal thickening. The doctor informed me that everything is OK. Very common what I have. But I am wondering if this is causing my tinnitus. I am 56 years old, in fairly good health but am concerned since this tinnitus causes me much anxiety at night. Can I do something about this? The tinnitus was in my left ear and now it started in my right ear with constant flareups depending on my day and exposure to noise. I also have stress and anxiety because of aging parents that may also be hurting the situation. Just your opinion would be fully appreciated.
It is unlikely that your post nasal drip is directly related to the tinnitus however if you are experiencing Eustachian tube dysfunction as a result of the allergies/post nasal drip, it may lead to a perception of tinnitus. An audiogram with tympanometry and an exam should help to determine the cause of your problem.