Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Central Auditory Neglect

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Central Auditory Neglect

My 11 month old son was just diagnosed with Central Auditory Neglect by his Neurologist, and now it is being recommended that he see an ENT. My son seems to be in his own world a lot of the time and will not respond to sounds. He perks up as if he hears it, looks around, and then goes back to what he was doing. THe way my doc put it, he can hear perfectly but can not localize sound and therefore he ignores it. I was wondering if it could be something else. My son is ALWAYS pulling at his ears and digging at them. I have told his ped this and every time she tells me that he does not have an ear infection. However, when he had a BAER done and the test that tells if their is fluid in the ear, the BAER came back normal and the test said there was fluid behind his right ear drum. The audiologist said the fluid was NOT infected and that needed to be discussed with his ped. Well, his PED said that it was because he had an ear infection....but the audiologist said it was not infected fluid??? Anyway, a few months ago, (before the BAER) his ear drum ruptured from an ear infection. Also, his ears seem to "pour" out wax. Sometimes there is no wax, and sometimes it seems as though the wax just COATS the outside of his ear and I can't keep it cleaned. The ped said that some kids just have more wax than others, but could this all be related? He is having his BAER repeated on June 27th. Ashtyn is in early intervention for a developmental delay and I went to them for help working with Ashtyn in terms of his hearing issue. Basically, he pays NO attention to me when I try to sign for him ( teaching him baby signs) and he shows NO interest in trying to communicate with me. Autism has been mentioned but his ped thinks he is to social and loving to be autistic.....Is this connected or is the ear digging/wax/ rupture all just coincidence??? His MRI showed slight brain damange, but to the area of the brain that causes a person to visually neglect things! Is this all connected?
This is a complex problem that requires a multidisciplinary evaluation. An pediatric otolaryngologist are pediatric neurologist going to represent the key members of the group. I would discuss this with your pediatrician and plan a visit to your closest academic medical center where a complete multidisciplinary evaluation can be performed. Early intervention is essential.

Eric Genden, MD