Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Clear fluid leaking from left ear

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Clear fluid leaking from left ear

i have a headache and a sensation that there is fluid running down the side of my head. I am now getting a clear fluid leaking out of my left ear.. I have not had a loss of hearing and i went to dr to see if i had a infection and there was no indication of an infection.. what else could be causing this.. It is driving me nuts.. I am tugging on my ear all the time
The most important thing to rule out is if you are draining cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) out of your ear.  CSF bathes the brain and is a system that should not get past the dura or layer surrounding it.  If you have a perforation of your ear drum, it is possible to have leakage out of your outer ear.  Collecting the fluid in a sterile container to be tested is critical in diagnosis.  A special marker found in CSF is used to verify the leakage (beta-2-transferrin).  Visit an ent and get a workup.  Further testing would include imaging.  Good luck.
I too have had clear fluid leaking from my ear for the past several months. It came after an ear infection from which severe ear pain started as well. After 6 ENT specialists later I have no solution.
The last one told me after the CT scan showed nothing to have someone use a glass pipette with a rubber syringe top and draw as much of the fluid as possible and drop it into a sealed container that I was given.
I will be doing this as soon as he advises me of the culture tests that he is doing on that ear. The pain is unbearable and I can't stand loud sounds as well. This maybe a little different from your condition, however I thought that I would post about the collection of fluid via the pipette and placement in a container in the hopes that this might help if your dr. will co-operate.
Good luck.