Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Dead side 'hearing'

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Dead side 'hearing'

30 years ago I had an acoustic neuroma successfully removed leaving me with a 'dead' ear. The resulting constant hissing tinnitus inside my non-hearing 'dead' side has caused me no real problems.Last year a severe head cold left me with 4 concurrent problems.1. 'tent shaped' hearing loss starting at 60 db improving to 30 db and dropping to 65db and 2. severe distortion of music and speech; TV sound, radio and squeaky female and child voices in my hearing side. 3. bad recruitment with ordinary sounds eg running water causing instantaneous 'booming'  'heard' in my 'dead' side. 4. new, incessant, loud, low frequency, roaring noise, heard in my 'dead' side pulsing relentlessly at about 40 beats per minute (bpm) well below my heart rate of 60+bpm. Touching my forehead or a soft impact of my foot on the ground, can result in 'firing' a fast burst of increased booming inside my dead side. It is though my dead side is alive with electricity and 'hears' muffled noise originating both from my good ear AND inputs from the body.I sleep quite well. The new 40 bpm pulsing noise is fairly muted on waking but increases rapidly when stimulated by external sounds and physical movement during the day. A couple of drinks then makes it more subdued for a while in the evening! Humming produces a deep resonance in my good ear (like blowing across the mouth of an empty bottle). This resonance subdues the low frequency noise in my 'dead' side for a minute or two before it returns as before. An MRI scan has ruled out further tumours (acoustic and glomus). I have seen two ENT consultants who say 'up with it I must put'. I have a further appointment with an audiologist (for a new hearing aid !) and another ENT consultant to review my mixed battery of problems. I wonder:
1.why the new booming and pulsing noise seems to be located deep inside my dead side? 2.why it beats not at my heart rate? 3.do you think I should see a neurologist instead of another ENT specialist?

The mri scan not revealing further lesions is reassuring. The tinnitus could be stemming for areas closer to the midline of your body leading to a sensation that it is from deep within (as you did have surgery on this area previously).  I would follow up with a neuro-otologist ( an ent surgeon that specializes specifically on ears) to further evaluate your condition.
Just wondering if i could ask you a question?  What were your symptoms that you had when you had the acustic nueroma?  I have had concerns but all my friends and family think i'm crazy.  Thanks for your help.
Symptoms were: sudden onset of a constant unwavering hum inside my left side; couldn't hear violins on left side of orchestra; increased high frequency deafness and slight twitching of facial muscle, on affected side;