Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Detached / torn sinus mucosa?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Detached / torn sinus mucosa?

I am currently recovering from a head and chest cold, which is nothing to be alarmed about...but after a few forceful sneezes (which hurt), and forcefully blowing my nose several times, I believe I may have detached part of my sinuses in my left nasal cavity.

It's rather apparent, as this morning I blew my nose with a good deal of blood in the thick mucus (which I usually have in the stages of recovery).  I took the time to do a nasal lavage (my first) with a saline solution - washing out the remains of blood clots.

Once clean, I looked up my nose with a light, and with some breath what felt like a flap move inside my nose, which eventually moved far enough to block air exiting my left nostril, and to be easily seen in it's soft pinkish glory.

With a bit of inward breath, I sucked the flap back, and then my nasal passage felt clear.  It doesn't move easily, it has to be forced.

Any sensation I get from inside my nose is a slight discomfort, not actual pain.

My questions are:

Is there a name for this condition?  How serious is it?
What kind of doctor do I need to see?
What kind of treatment can I do myself?  Short of duct tape and J.B. Weld on a q-tip...
Can the membrane re-attach if left in place?