Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Dizziness, pressure, imbalance, serous otitis media

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I am a 27 years, Female. I had my wisdom teeth extracted more than a month ago. All four teeth, except the botton right teeth, was easy. The one difficult teeth took more than a couple of minutes of forceful tugging and pulling, with extra anaesthesia injected because of some pain.  I was fine in just one day, recovering well from the extraction, with no pain or swelling.

After four days, I suddenly experienced dizziness and weakness while at work. I went to see my GP and she said I had Benign Positional Vertigo and that it would go in 2 weeks. The dizziness, which I would describe as mild, has been constant for the next 4 weeks. I also have blurry vision. Also, my sinuses got blocked during the night constantly.

My ear started popping two weeks after extraction. My GP said it was Eustachian Tube dysfunction and prescribed steroids, nasal and oral. Now I have a ear infection with fluid as a result of taking a flight when I had a cold. My dizziness has gotten worse and i have a lot of pressure behind my ears now. I feel off balance more than dizzy and a feeling that my head is full and my vision is blurry/hazy.

My question:

1) What could be the cause of the original dizziness blurry vision and sinus problems? Did the wisdom teeth extraction have anything to do with the original dizziness, blurry vision and sinus problems?

2) How long does the fluid usually take to drain away after a ear infection?

3) Will I be able to fly in 2 months (I have to!!)??

I am still struggling with the dizziness and ear problems. I have a CT scan and an ENT appt next week. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.
Tough to say what caused your original problem.  Your GP suggested BPPV which is unrelated to any sinus issues.  Sometimes upper tooth roots can involve one of the sinuses (maxillary) and lead to problems.  Flying while having an upper respiratory infection can cause a lot of problems with your sinuses.  After an infection, it can take several weeks for the fluid to dissipate.  If you have a component of eustacian tube dysfunction from the upper respiratory infection, the regulation of middle ear pressure may not be working well for you.  Your ability to fly will be based on the resolution of your current symptoms.  Hopefully, your issues will be resolved by then.  I agree with the decision to see an ent.  A complete examination would be useful before embarking on a treatment regimen.  Good Luck.