Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Foreign body sensation throat/tonsil

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Foreign body sensation throat/tonsil

I have had a sensation of something caught in my tonsil or right below it, like a popcorn kernel or fish bone, for several weeks. I went to my GP then an ENT and they could not find anything.  I do have tonsil stones that I occasionally scrape out with a spoon or blunt kitchen knife, the ENT thinks I may have injured myself. Would this cause a feeling like this, for a month? I'm worried it could be something sinister but he said he did not find anything suspicious and to stop thinking about it, it would eventually go away.  But it is a constant and bothersome sensation (though not painful).

I did have a bad cold and I do have post nasal drip from a deviated septum, so my throat is often irritated, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
Trauma to the lining of the throat can cause discomfort as it heals, but should resolve.  Throat irritation from coughing, post nasal drip, or reflux can also be related.  Masses or tumors are always a possibility.  It is reassuring that you were evaluated by an ent.  Repeat examination by your physician and follow up is important to monitor if there any changes or progression.  If you are concerned that something more is present, you can always follow up sooner with your ent, get a second opinion or get radiological imaging of the area.  Best wishes.
I have been back to the ENT twice since last week because I developed a bad sinus infection following a cold. I'm not sure if that was related to the foreign body feeling, maybe my irritated throat was the beginning of the sinus problems?

But I am still having that sensation, but not always and it has stayed the same, it is not worse.

Anyway, he checked that area again, said he couldn't see anything  and I had no signs of anything remotely suspicious, and to leave it alone, to stop scraping it with a spoon and  to stop probing it.

He implied it was psychological, that the more I think about it, the more I am aware of it. It seems so real to me, how could this irritation not be "real"?
A related discussion, many time have dry cough was started.
A related discussion, sore throat was started.