Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Get Strep Throat A LOT

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Get Strep Throat A LOT
I am a 43-year-old woman.
I got strep a lot as a child.
Now that I have kids, I seem to get it more than a few times a year.
I have it now (my neighbor is a nurse and tested me with one of those kits)
and got just had it about 2 months ago.

Should I get my tonsils out?

If now, what else could/should I do?

Thanks!
Recurrent strep throat infections requiring multiple courses of antibiotics is a problem.  Tonsils can harbor bacteria and lead to recurrences.  Controversy exists regarding antibiotic prophylaxis and many physicians would be against it to avoid bacterial resistance.  Tonsillectomy may not eliminate all infections but can help decrease the harboring of bacteria that may lead to recurrences.  Good luck.
So what exactly is one to do?
What is antibiotic prophylaxis?
When my daughter was in her teens she kept getting strep throat and tonsilitis.  She would have an injection of penacillian and that would help for a while and then it would be back.  Someone suggested Hydrogen Peroxide therapy.  We tried it and it worked great.  Never another incident of strep throat.

Hydrogen Peroxide therapy is using food grade (35%) H2o2 orally.  You start with just a drop or two in a glass of liquid twice a day, gradually progressing until you are using thirty drops.  The reason for the gradual increase is that it can make you feel ill until you get used to it.  

There used to be very little information on H2o2 therapy but I just did a Google search and got 327000 hits.  I'd suggest you read a few of them and give this therapy serious consideration.