Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
LEFT SIDE VOCAL CORD PARALYSIS

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

LEFT SIDE VOCAL CORD PARALYSIS

I'VE HAD LEFT VOCAL CORD PARALYSIS SINCE JANUARY 08. AFTER MULTIPLE TEST SUCH AS ULTA SOUND OF MY NECK , I DO HAVE A GOITER, PET SCANS AND CT OF NECK AND CHEST, NOTHING SIGNIFICANT WAS FOUND.I'VE BEEN TOLD IT MAY BE FROM A VIRUS I HAD IN JANUARY 08 AND IT MAY TAKE 1AND A HALF TO 2YEARS BEFORE MY VOICE COMES BACK. ANY THOUGHTS? AND HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THIS? THANK YOU
There are reports of paralysis from viruses in the literature.  The important point is to rule any other causes.  It sounds as though your physicians have tried to discover another cause and rule out any dominant or suspicious lesions in your thyroid.  If it is indeed a virus, there are temporary measures that can be done to improve your voice if you are having difficulties.  This process allows the other vocal cord to reach the paralyzed one by injection dissovable material next to the cord and pushing it to the middle.  However, your voice may be acceptable as the normal cord can compensate over time.  Good luck.    
1 Comment
A related discussion, Left-sided Vocal Cord Paralysis was started.