Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Pain on right side of nose

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pain on right side of nose

A few days ago I started having a throbbing pain on the upper right side of my nose.  It comes and goes and can be absent for even a few hours at a time, but it always starts up again.  Even when it's not throbbing with the pain, it feels like something is pressing down on it.  The pain itself is quite painful although not to the point of impeding sleep.  I went to the doctor and she had an X-ray taken, but everything looks normal.  I have not had any injuries to the nose.  She prescribed an anti-inflammatory and told me to use warm compresses, but so far the medication and compresses have no effect.  Any suggestions?  This is really worrying me.  Could there be a small growth that wouldn't show up in the x-ray?

Paula
The key here is that if there is something that requires further evaluation, the pain will persist. If it does not resolve in 10 days, you may need more high resolution imaging.
Are your nasal turbinates swollen ? The nasal turbinates could be swollen and pressing on your septum causing pain or discomfort. Do you have trouble breathing through your nose on either side? Ask your Ent about vasomotor rhinitis, the blood vessels inside swell up and can cause pain , pressure.  One of my ENt doctors tells me to do nasal irrigation twice a day for ever, he said that it may not seem like the rinses are helping but they really are - could have fooled me- I have been doing them for 6 yrs. and it has not done a thing.  Either has oral or nasal steroids.  Do you have constant post nasal drainage?  All my Ct scans came back normal too - I hope you don't have vasomotor rhinitis  - it is a pain in the rear .  When did your symptoms start.? Any information  that you find out from your doctor would be appreciated.  Do you ever feel burning way up high inside your nose?
Regarding my son who is 4, he has been having strep throat often over the past year. He had tubes put in the ears and had the adnoids removed about a year and a half now due to chronic ear infections. His tonsills are very large and appear red, I don't believe he has sleep apnea and he doesn't snore. Is tonsillectomy something to be considered or should this wait until he is over five?