Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Pain

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pain

I have had a plugged right ear for 3 weeks.  Had a hearing test and no hearing out of that ear.  Went to the dr. got put on spray.  Didn't work.  He called an ENT as we live in a small town.  My dr. thought it was acoustic neuroma but the ENT. thought it was Eustachian Tube dysfunction.  Have had major headaches also. CT scan showed extra fluid on the brain.  I am also on pain pills.  NOTHING is working and I am sitting here crying wondering if I should go up to the hospital.  I am 52. HELP!
Dear fletch222,

Plugged ears following an attack of flu could be due to Eustachian tube catarrh, but the plugging of the ear without any specific reason is likely to be due to impacted wax or eustachian tube dysfunction.

In your query, you have mentioned that a hearing test has been done and no hearing was noticed. Could you please elaborate the findings of that test? What was the type of test performed? Was it tympanometry or pure tone audiometry or both?

The possibility of Acoustic Neuroma is very unlikely as the symptoms mentioned above do not correlate with the diagnosis. Eustachian tube catarrh needs to be ruled out. If a tympanometry has been done, the results can exclude this diagnosis.

Regarding the CT scan brain, can you please tell me where was the extra fluid noticed in the brain?

Do get back to me with these details if possible so that I can help you more in this regard. Please do not worry, we will try our best to find the cause of your problem and give you a suitable solution.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards.
Dr. Naveen Kumar
Where is my answer and I paid.
Both tests were done.  Now I have ringing in the ear also.  It hurts very much.
Dear fletch222,

Thank you for writing back.

If I could know the results of the audiometry, tympanometry and CT scan, I would be in a better  position to comment on the possible cause of your symptoms. However, with the history that you describe, it appears to me that there could be accumulation of fluid in the middle ear due to blockage of the tube connecting the nose and the ear (Eustachian tube). The accumulation of fluid in the middle ear can lead to reduced hearing, blockage of the ear and also tinnitus.

You need to take steam inhalation 2-3 times in a day and continue with a steroid nasal spray as it may be helpful in relieving the congestion around the Eustachian tube and reduce the symptoms of middle ear block.

Wish you good health.

Best Regards,
Dr. Naveen Kumar
Some natural methods to help with the ear problem.Do these first, then I have another pranayam for you for the long term.
Do this to help with blocked ear.
Breathe in,
Close  both your nostrils with thumb and forefinger,
Blow out hard, keeping the mouth and nose closed (the cheeks will blow outwards).
You will notice the ear drum moving.Repeat this 3 times.
Do this only 3 times  per day.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close little flap of ears with thumb,place  index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
November 22, 2011