Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Sore lingual frenulum

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sore lingual frenulum

I am 27 years old and I sometimes experience mild tenderness underneith my tongue. The skin under my tongue feels a little tender sometimes if I stretch my tongue backwards but it appears completely normal except sometimes I see what looks like a thin white film that coats it but can be wiped off very easy. I chew snuff but watch my mouth very carfully and have had doctors look at it several times at my work and they say it looks completely normal but told me not to bother it with my fingers. I have a hard time not scratching at it or messing with it and it usually gets red and sore. I think that I aggrivate it more than anything else because it seems to only get this way when I obsess about it and it can be fine one day and sore the next morning and goes away within a day or two. What do you think it could be? any info will help. thanks
There is no question that the more you examine and touch your frenulum, the more irritated it can become.  However, local infections in the floor of your mouth can also lead to similar symptoms.  Your diligence to make sure that your tobacco use is not manifesting as a cancer is important.  If it continues, visit an ent for a thorough evaluation.  Consider tobacco cessation as well.  Good luck.