Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Swollen Right Parotid

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen Right Parotid

I have had two episodes of a right swollen Parotid.

1st time
April 22 went away completly May 9 - Slight cold - no fever - Gland was warm to the touch - no treatment - went away - no dry mouth

2nd time Feb 7 2012 until now, went down a little - Slight cold - no fever - Gland is not hot but this time my mouth is dry - Sometimes a foul taste - sometimes bad breath - Have not yet seen a doctor

My Stats - Healthy
BMI 32.5
Last Physical December 2010
Last HIV test - April 2011
occasional smoker - less the half a pack a month
Drink allot of pepsi - High Caffine intake
Do drink so much water
Floss and use a pretty hard mouth wash
No Dental trauma except some irriatation around a crown
Four dental Jackets installed in August 11
No fever in two years
I get head acne

Current medications
I use a topical for head acne called betnovate
I use another topical for head acne, its starts with an M but is a cortisteriod or something

My amatuer evaluation of Gland:  Fatter at the bottom maybe 1 1/4 times the size of the left at the bottom.  Towards the top, only slightly swollen, You can notice it but not bad.  The bottom or tail of the gland, the part that goes past the angle of my Jaw, that where the swellin is.

Question:  Should I go see a doc now or wait for 8 more days?  Last time all cleared in 16 days.  No real pain, just swelling.  What do you think it is?

Tags: Unilateral swollen parotid
Dear quickquestion77,

Thanks for posting your query.

You seem to be suffering from a condition of the parotid gland called as chronic parotitis.

Chronic parotitis is an inflammatory disorder of the parotid gland which is characterized by recurrent and painful swelling of the affected salivary gland with dry mouth. Pain may worsen while eating due to the increased stimulation of the salivary gland to produce saliva.

There are various reasons for this condition to happen and basically, there is alteration in the production and dispensing of the saliva. The salivary secretions can be blocked due to an increased viscosity of the secretions, a stone in the duct or narrowing of the duct preventing the flow of the salivary secretions. Due to this, there is increased accumulation of the secretions in the salivary gland, more so during eating and thus there is swelling of the gland and pain.

I would suggest you to visit an ENT specialist at the earliest for a complete evaluation including ultrasound scanning of the gland and sialendoscopy (if required). Continue drinking plenty of water, you can take sialogogues (the substance that increases the flow rate of saliva) such as chewing gum, orange, lemon, tamarind, etc. Avoid hard mouth washes and smoking completely.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Naveen Kumar