Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Throat / hyoid question.

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat / hyoid question.

Last week I sneezed very hard and immediately after my throat was very sore and swallowing caused moderate to severe pain right above my adams apple. After a few days the pain went away and I forgot about the episode. Two nights ago I yawned and I felt and heard a pop in my throat. The pain again was immediate and swallowing is very painful. I also am very hoarse and I constantly feel like I need to clear my throat (which I am trying not to do). I am relatively healthy with no problems, so this is a new experience for me.

I have read that some people can experience this if their Hyoid pops out of place. I am unsure if this is what is happening to me or if it is something completely different. I would appreciate any expert advice I can receive on this issue. Normally, I would just make a Dr's appointment. However, I was just furloughed last month and I am without benefits for the time being.

Thanks in advance.