Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Throat fullness, no pain

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat fullness, no pain

For the last 6 months I have felt like there is something stuck in my throat. There is no pain associated with the feeling, and no sore throat or sores in my mouth, only a feeling like someone has their fingers pressed up against my windpipe. I swallow often because of it; it is like my body keeps trying to "get it down" somehow, but can't. To me the saliva feels sticky and thick going down, but when I intentionally cough and spit to have a look at it, it is normal in appearance and not mucus-like or discolored. When I lie down to sleep and I can't comfortably turn my head to either side because the fullness too annoying. I also have very cold hands, feet and nose, even in the summer, so I thought it might also be a sign that something was wrong with the thyroid. Apparently not, my primary care doctor said I had raynaud's disease. I had a thyroid ultrasound, and they did find a very small growth on the right side, but the laparoscopic  surgeon I saw said it was "inconsequential." Subsequent Thyroid testing has revealed a normal thyroid.  I also had the surgeon monitoring 2 lumps in the left side of my neck. Those too he said were normal and because they were not growing, and were no reason for alarm. "Bad things get bigger," he said. So here I am, not really sure what is going on, and I have had a bunch of professional assessments saying that there is no cause to be concerned. I still feel the fullness, and can't imagine living the rest of my life with a throat that feels so uncomfortable. I have an appointment with and ENT in a week. Is there anything I should ask him, or tell him?
1 Comment
i know exactly how u feel!! the feeling is from post nasal drip, when the sinuses drain down ur throat. if its allergy related, its clear, it it's a virus or something, its green or yellow. i have it constantly. trust me, drink a lot of hot water. it helps. and do a sinus rinse, or nasal irrigation. those help. the feeling is from the mucus. its very hard to cough out, and i just end up swalloing it which gives me a stomach ache and nausea. ask ur specialist if u can get an allergy test, and get tested for acid reflux too. it also causes post nasal drip.
  and try not to get stressed, stress makes it a whole lot worse. i know! good luck  and God Bless you!