Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Thumping in left ear

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Thumping in left ear

I have had a thumping sound in my left ear off and on now for about 3 weeks.  I have been to my Dr and also the ER for this with little help or answers.  I do not notice it being in tune with my pulse at all, it seems to just go on its own, and it stops at random.  The episodes started out lasting only around 30 minutes or so but are lasting much longer each time now up to several hours.  I`m not quite sure if this area is for an ENT or Neurology Dr but would appreciate any suggestions or insight.

Thanks, Carolyn
A thumping noise in the ear can be associated with different processes.  As you noted, correlation with the pulse is important to assess for any type of vascular process.  Eustacian tube dysfunction can sometimes manifest as a type of beating sensation as the eustacian tube opens and closes to regulate middle ear pressure.  Types of hearing disturbances can also produce atypical sounds.  I would start by seeing an ent physician.  A thorough examination of the ears and back of nose could help in diagnosis.  Good Luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Rapid Thumping in left ear was started.