Aa
A
A
Close
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Tinnitus
I've had tinnitus now for 6 months.  It all started when I did a few lines of cocaine in November of 2007.  Shortly after I developed serious sinus problems where I had major swelling on the inside of my nose along with pain on the bridge.  And then........I woke up with ringing in my ears 1 1/2 weeks later.  The ringing got louder as the sinus problems continued.  Short of 3 sinus infections to date I really don't have too much to complain about with my sinuses.  The tinnitus on the other hand is a big problem.

The tinnitus ranges between the sound of a dog whistle, tea pot or the high pitched frequency an old tv or computer monitor produces.  I do not have a sensor neural hearing loss based on the hearing test I had done at the ENT office.  In fact it turned out very good.  A CT scan and MRI don't warrant any major problems such as tumors.

What do I do now?  I've posted all of the results of the CT scan, MRI and hearing test so please visit my profile to see these.  I'm taking klonopin because I'm a nervous wreck.  I've also been on flonase for 5 months now.

Meds I'm currently on:
Flonase
Cipro (for last sinus infection)
Klonopin
Alegra-D

Other meds I've taken:
Biaxin
Bactrin
Z-pack
Ambien CR

Please help.  I'm desperate.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
517297 tn?1212081618
Cocaine has irreversible effects on microvasculature that can effect hearing and balance. These changes are not detectable on MRI or CT scan. You should see a neurotologist for evaluation.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
Just for the record, I've only done cocaine twice in my life, this being the second time (7 years apart).  I haven't touched it since.

I asked the ENT today if the cocaine is related to the tinnitus since it started 1 1/2 weeks later.  He said there is no relation even though I swelled up so bad that my nose hurt.  I find that hard to believe.

I will take your advise and see if a neurotologist can help me.

Many thanks.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A