Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
anyone else with Eusachian Tube Blockage

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

For 10 months after a severe cold I been having this symptoms: clogged ears feeling, dulled hearing, (metals and crystal sounds are very dull),  feeling of preassure in my ears, and I feel a bit worse when it is cold, I have had some tests, including audiometry and it was for the most part normal, except my left ear that is at 30 db only at 8kh, My tympanogram showed an As type curve with a compliance at about 0.4 mm, and my ETF TEST shows no variation in preassure when I swallow or I blow with my nose closed, pneumatic otoscopy revealed my eardrums move fine, in the tunning fork test i can hear the sound much louder in my worse ear (left) doctor said I has ETD, My question is, according to the ETF test I have ETD, but is there anything else that could be causing my ETF TEST to fail that way? E.G. OTOSCLEROSIS or problems with my osscicles?. I was adviced to do the so called Eustachian Tube excercises, as chewing gum, or drink with a straw, blow with my nose pinched, etc, but it does nothing but make me feel worse, some times I feel pain, and many times I feel even more preassure in my ears after doing the excercises, but rarely I feel my hearing improves if at all, My main concern is damaging my ears with this autoinflation excercises, besides several times I went to the doctor after doing this ET excercises and doctor told me my eardrums looked red and adviced me to stop doing those excercises, My question is, Why, if my ETs are obstructed, then why my eardrums get hurt when I blow with my nose closed?,
I use to smoke 6 cigarretes a day, do you thik that could be contributing to my ETD?
Thanks doctor
Your symptoms are most consistent with ET dysfunction.  The test results are compatible with this diagnosis.  Otosclerosis would cause a different type of hearing loss.  Consider continuing with the exercises 3 times a day.  Hopefully, the problem will improve over time.  ET exercises are generally not dangerous, however, you should do them less vigorously if your eardrums are red.  There is no question that you should quit smoking if you have not done so already. If there is a component of nasal inflammation, irritation, or infection, your ent may be able help to alleviate their contribution to your problem.  Good luck.  
Yes, Cigs are very bad for your hearing. Stop Smoking if you haven't.  Go to an ENT MD you need some good advise. Stop popping your ears that can't be good, don't use a straw either. blowing your nose can also cause issues. You are suppose to blow your nose with both nostrils open not one closed, Closing one can cause pressure. Sinus investigate your issues, nasal (saline) if having stuffiness. loosens the congestion. Check for chronic infections/any fevers, Headaches?

Abby
Thanks for your advice, I stopped blowing and all that stupid stuff, my ears dont hurt, it is just this stuffed feeling that some times drives me crazy, My head dont hurt either and I have no fever, I Went to several doctors who never knew I had ETD, but a doctor made me some tests and discovered I got it. What I dont know it is how to help my Tubes to work a bit better, given that any excercises just made things worse.

THANK YOU
A related discussion, eustachian tube dysfunction was started.