Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
bump under ear after scratching a pime

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

bump under ear after scratching a pime

Hello.  I had a pimple in my outter ear and I scratched it and after that a bump was swollen under my ear (bellow my ear and above my jaw bone ) is that normal ? Is it a lymph node or. Another pimple? Its inside the skin and you can't really see it but can easly be felt.  And in the same place under my other ear there is nothing !!
Tags: bump
Dear dave640,

The bump below the ear could be a lymph node which has popped up secondary to the infection in the ear.

It could be an infra-auricular or julodigastric lymphnode. These lymph nodes are noticed when there is an infection in the external ear and the surrounding region. I believe the pimple in the external ear would have got infected because of which this lymph node has popped up.

Most of the time such lymph nodes disappear some time after the infection subsides and are not a cause for concern. However, if the swelling is painful you might need to start on a course of antibiotics after consulting your doctor. In addition you can take an anti-inflammatory medicine such as Tylenol twice daily.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Naveen Kumar
A related discussion, lumps behind ear and wrist was started.