Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
excessive saliva/choking while sleeping

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

excessive saliva/choking while sleeping

For the past 8 or so years I have been awakened several times from the feel of drool.  I sometimes choke and wake up gasping because I am not laying it a position for it to trickle out of my mouth and it begins to choke me.  I have sleep apnea and am unable to use the mask due to excessive condensation  building in my mask.  The doctor tells me to keep wearing it and it will stop it but I literally begin to choke and cough as soon as I fall asleep which makes me tear the thing off and throw it to the floor.  I have phenominal oral hygiene and no longer have my tonsils.  I have tried limiting my fluids after six but nothing appears to help.  Thank goodness I am not a heavy sleeper because I would probably be dead from choking .  It is plain and simple saliva.  No stickiness or color, Just large amounts of saliva.  What can be done to help or end my dilemna?  Thanks in advance for a response.  
Your dilemma is an interesting one.  Excessive salivation and choking during sleep can be related to some basic disorders like reflux.  A review of your medications by your physician may also provide insight.  The fact that you have sleep apnea may be related to your problem as well.  There are sleep related disorders that are named parasomnias.  These include restless leg syndrome, sleep walking, sleep terrors, etc.   Two conditions, sleep choking and sleep-related abnormal swallowing syndrome, are rare but similar to what you describe.  First, rule out any other causes.  Next, discuss your symptoms with a sleep medicine physician (could be a neurologist or a pulmonologist specializing in sleep medicine) who has experience with parasomnias.  The work up will hopefully lead you to a targeted treatment plan.  Best wishes.