Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
excessive saliva/choking while sleeping
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

excessive saliva/choking while sleeping

For the past 8 or so years I have been awakened several times from the feel of drool.  I sometimes choke and wake up gasping because I am not laying it a position for it to trickle out of my mouth and it begins to choke me.  I have sleep apnea and am unable to use the mask due to excessive condensation  building in my mask.  The doctor tells me to keep wearing it and it will stop it but I literally begin to choke and cough as soon as I fall asleep which makes me tear the thing off and throw it to the floor.  I have phenominal oral hygiene and no longer have my tonsils.  I have tried limiting my fluids after six but nothing appears to help.  Thank goodness I am not a heavy sleeper because I would probably be dead from choking .  It is plain and simple saliva.  No stickiness or color, Just large amounts of saliva.  What can be done to help or end my dilemna?  Thanks in advance for a response.