Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
labyrinthitis

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

labyrinthitis

When I was 28 weeks pregnant I awoke to ringing in my ears and diminishing hearing on my right side, vertigo started hours later and then no hearing in my right ear.  I saw an otoneurologist w/in  12 hours and he injected steroids into my right ear.  Symptoms worsened over days to come and had another steroid injection a week later and was put on a taper dose of steroids for 10 days.  It has now been 12 weeks and the dizziness is only slightly there but I still am unable to hear out of my right ear and ringing (roaring, popping, and other noises) is still there.  I'm scheduled to have a c-section next week.  Dr. thinks I have labyrinthitis and will do MRI and CT scan after delivery.  Could this be complicated by pregnancy??  Will I get my hearing back??  Similar thing happened 8 years ago on left side and left me w/ partial hearing in left ear but duration was much shorter then.
Continue with the recommendations of the otologist.  Sudden hearing loss occurs and has varying rates of return.  Because of your pregnancy, steroid injections were a great idea.  Radiologic imaging is also a good plan once the child is delivered.