Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
sharp severe throat pain if eat vinegar dressings

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have had for a few months sharp, severe pain in upper throat on swallowing salad dressing or mayonnaise that has vinegar or fruit juice in it. No other symptoms. I find only supraglotteal cancer listed when I look on the Net for what this can be a symptom of. My ENT doctor had me get a barium swallow (stomach through larynx or most of larynx) which looked normal, and will be doing a more thorough exam (down-through-the-nose tube light, in-office); my mouth looked normal enough. She says may be from GERD, but I only get acid reflux once or twice a year, though when I do it is up into the mouth, no heartburn. Is there any significant chance that this may be GERD or simple ulcer in my throat or should I try to prepare for a finding of supraglottal cancer?
Reflux symptoms can be "silent" and not lead to the classic sensation of heartburn--even though it is still occurring.  The important thing is that you were evaluated by an ENT to assess what conditions may contributing to your symptoms.  Close follow up over time is important to make sure any changes are noted and addressed.  
I was diagnosed with LPRD today.  You should google Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease.  I learned more than I  ever wanted to know.   About 3 weeks ago I started coughing and my throat hurt, yet I had no other symptoms.   Saw and ENT  today and first he thought maybe it was a sinus drip, but put a long tube through my nose to look at my throat (ugh) and was shocked to see I have acid reflux.    I probably have had it a long time since the symptoms can be mild, but it is interesting that the acid can eat away at your teeth and my dentist has told me this for years and I don't drink sodas, etc. anymore.....  so of course, why now am I getting noticeable symtoms (symptoms).   I started taking calcium about 7 weeks ago and I read that this can cause an increase in acid.  
I will start on prevacid tomorrow for this.  I read it can take weeks to notice the difference, but I hope sooner... this cough is not stop and annoying.